Hampton (Welsh). A parish in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. It formerly belonged to the Knights Templars. Part of Welshhampton is in the parish of Ellesmere. 2 ¼ miles north-east by east of Ellesmere 75 houses, 478 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824