Wellington

Wellington, Shropshire

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Wellington, a parish and market-town in the Wellington or southern division of the hund. of Bradford, union of Wellington, county of Salop; 11 miles east of Shrewsbury, and 142 north west of London. It contains the townships of Aston, Hodley, Horton, Ketley, Lawley, and Walcott. Pop., in 1801, 7,531; in 1831, 9,671. Houses 1,943. A. P., in 1815, £22,518. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,956 2s. — Living, a vicarage united to the rectory of Eyton, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £9 5s.; nett income £842. The patronage is with Eyton rectory. The church is an elegant structure of recent erection. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel; an Independent church, formed in 1825; a Baptist; and a Wesleyan Methodist, formed in 1787. In 1833, there were 13 day-schools in this parish, one of which is endowed with £4 6s. 11d. per annum. The Wellington poor-law union comprehends 11 parishes, all in the county of Salop, with a total area of 55 square miles; and a population, in 1831, of 17,945; and, in 1841, of 19,401. Expenditure for the year ending 25th March, 1838, £3,226. Average annual expenditure of the three years preceding formation of the union, £6,207: being a decrease of 48 per cent. Expenditure for the year ending 25th March, 1841, £4,349 4s. The workhouse has been enlarged by the poor-law commissioners at an expense of £1,400. — The town is about 2 miles south from the Wrekin; near the ancient Watling-street. The streets are lighted with gas. The lord-of-the-manor — the Duke of Cleveland — holds a court annually in November, at which officers are appointed for the government of the town, and constables for the different townships within the hundred of Bradford. The magistrates of the county hold the petty-sessions for the hundred here; as also a court-of-record for the hundred of Bradford, before which any debts not exceeding £20 can be recovered. This court was constituted by letters-patent of Charles II., in 1672. The lock up house is a detached building, lately erected at the expense of the county. It contains four cells. There is also a debtors’ prison here. The number of prisoners since the 18th of August, 1826, to the 20th of July, 1837, was 108. The market is held on Thursday. It was granted to Hugh Burnel in the reign of Edward I. Fairs for horned cattle, horses, sheep, and swine, are held on March 29th, June 22d, September 29th, and November 17th. At these fairs large quantities of farm and dairy produce, as also horses, horned cattle, and sheep, are sold. There is a branch of Stuckey’s banking company here, and also of the Shropshire banking company. The parish is well supplied with coal, and large quantities of ironstone and limestone are found here. In consequence, Wellington has long been the seat of extensive operations in the manufacture of iron and iron articles, particularly of nails. The town has ample communication with the Severn by means of the Shrewsbury and Shropshire canal. — In the vicinity, at Admaston, are two wells, the basis of one of which is sulphureous, and of the other chalybeate. They are supposed to possess medicinal qualities; and having, of late years, attained a considerable degree of celebrity, have been frequented by people from all parts of the country, particularly by those who are afflicted with rheumatic complaints. For the accommodation of visiters, a large and comfortable inn, with ample baths, has been built.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Aston (Wellington) Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Aston. A township in the parish of Wellington, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 3 miles south-west by west of Wellington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Lawley Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lawley. A township in the parish of Wellington, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 2 miles south-east by south of Wellington.

One of the hills in the eastern line of the plain of Shropshire.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hadley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hadley. A township in the parish of Wellington, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 1 ½ mile south of Wellington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824