St. Martin's

St. Martin’s, Shropshire Family History

St Martin’s is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Bron-y-garth, Bronnygarth, Weston Rhyn, and Ifton Rhyn, Iston Rhynn.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1601

Nonconformists include: Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist Association, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to St. Martin’s

  • Ellesmere
  • Selattyn
  • Whittington
  • Dudleston
  • Brynkinalt
  • Dynmynlle Isaf
  • Halton
  • Tal-y-garth
  • Chirk
  • Glyntraian

Historical Descriptions

St. Martins

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848

Martin (St.), a parish in the hund. of Oswestry, county of Salop; 5¼ miles west by north of Ellesmere, crossed by the Ellesmere canal. The parish includes the townships of Ifton-Rhyn, and Weston-Rhyn with Bron-y-gath. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of St. Asaph; rated at £5 2s. 3½d., returned at £125; gross in come £320. Vicarial tithes commuted in 1806. Patron, the bishop of St. Asaph. Here are 7 daily schools. There are in this parish extensive coal-works. Acres 4,830. Houses 416. A. P. £7,176. Pop., in 1801, 1,476; in 1831, 2,099. Poor rates, in 1838, £326 1s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848

England and Wales Delineated Thomas Dugdale 1835

Name of Place: Martin’s St.; County: Salop; Number of Miles from: Ellesmere – 5; Chirk – 3; Oswestry – 6; Dist. Lond. – 174; Population: 2099.

Martin’s St. The Ellesmere-canal passes through this parish. Here are some large coal works, and the great road from Shrewsbury to Holyhead has here been diverted from its original course whereby a considerable distance has been saved.

Source: England and Wales Delineated by Thomas Dugdale assisted by William Burnett; published by Tallis & Co., Green Arbour Court, Old Bailey, 1835.

Bronygarth

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bronnygarth. A township in the parish of St. Martin’s, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry. With Weston Rhyn it contains 192 houses, 917 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles north-west by north of Oswestry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ifton Rhyn

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Iston Rhynn. A township in the parish of St. Martin, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry. 198 houses, 935 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Weston Rhyn

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Weston-Rhyn, a joint township with Bron-y-gath, in the parish of St. Martin, hund. of Oswestry, county of Salop; 3 miles north of Oswestry. Acreage with the parish. Houses 218. Pop. with Bron-y-gath, in 1831, 1,083.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Parish Registers

St. Martins Parish Registers 1579-1812, Marriages to 1837

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of St. Asaph Vol. VIII (1922)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

St. Martins Parish Registers 1579-1812, Marriages to 1837 - Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Oswestry
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: St Asaph
  • Rural Deanery: Oswestry
  • Poor Law Union: Oswestry
  • Hundred: Oswestry
  • Province: Canterbury