Skip to content

Richards Castle Herefordshire and Shropshire Family History

Photo of All Saints Church, Richards Castle by Philip Pankhurst, some rights reserved.


Richard's Castle is an Ancient Parish partly in Herefordshire and partly in Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Moor and Batchcott, Overton, Woofferton, Woolferton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Parishes adjacent to Richard's Castle

  • Ashford Bowdler
  • Brimfield
  • Little Hereford
  • Ludford
  • Orleton
  • Ashford Carbonell

Historical Descriptions

Richard's Castle

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Richard’s Castle. A parish partly in Wolfy hundred, in the county of Hereford, partly in the hundred of Munslow. The entire parish contains 490 inhabitants. The Shropshire part including the townships of Moor, with Batchcott, Overton and Woolverton, 51 houses, 261 inhabitants. 4 miles south-west of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Moor with Batchcot

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Moor with Batchcot. A township in the parish of Richard’s Castle, and in the hundred of Munslow. 2 ½ miles south-west of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Overton

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Overton. A township in the parish of Richard’s Castle, and in the hundred of Munslow. 12 houses.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Woolferton

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1831

WOOLFERTON, a township in that part of the parish of Richard's Castle which is in the hundred of Munslow, county of Salop, 3 miles (S. E.) from Ludlow. The population is returned with the parish. The Stourport canal passes through the township. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury