Skip to content

Quatford, Shropshire Family History

Quatford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Eardington, Knowle Sands.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1602

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Quatford

  • Chetton
  • Bridgnorth St Mary Magdalen
  • Quatt
  • Oldbury
  • Chelmarsh
  • Worfield

Historical Descriptions

Quatford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Quatford. A parish in the liberties of Bridgnorth, a curacy, in the exempt jurisdiction of Bridgnorth. 86 houses, 411 inhabitants. 2 miles south-east of Bridgnorth. Quatford is a parish and manor. In the beautiful village of the same name lies the lordship of the Hay, anciently the seat of the Bruyns and Otleys, – now belonging to the Hon. Charles Cecil Cope Jenkinson, brother of the Earl of Liverpool. Quatford is held with Erdington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eardington

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Eardington or Erdington, a township in Quatford parish, Salop; near the Severn river and the Severn Valley railway, 1½ mile S of Bridgnorth. Acres, 1,301. Real property, £5,876; of which £100 are in quarries, £100 in mines, and £120 in iron-works. Pop., 370. Houses, 76. A stoppage of coal and brickworks here occasioned a decrease of about one-fourth of the population between 1851 and 1861.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Eardington The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Eardington, a township in Quatford parish, county of Salop , 2 miles south of Bridgenorth, and west of the river Severn. Acres 1,200. Houses 63. A.P. £1,773. Pop., in 1801, 328; in 1831, 325. Poor rates, in 1838, £75 4s

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eardington. A parish in the liberties of Bridgnorth, united to Quatford, which is in the peculiar jurisdiction of Bridgnorth, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield. 60 houses, 306 inhabitants. 1 ½ mile south of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Quatford, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Quatford, Parish of

713 Campbell Thomas

714 Griffith Edward

715 Hughes William

716 Ryan Sir Edward

717 Scott Peter

718 Turley Richard

Eardington, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Eardington, Township of

617 Baldwin William

618 Cooper John Henry

619 Jackson Thomas, see 829

620 Minshull John

621 Page Henry, dead

622 Pittman Joseph, Esq.

623 Thomas George

Directories

Quatford Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Quatford is a parish and suburb of Bridgnorth, with the township of Eardington, one mile and a half from Bridgnorth, and 11 ½ from Shifnal and Kidderminster station, in the Southern division of the county, Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the turnpike road from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster, on the river Severn.  The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an old stone building.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £60, with residence and seven acres of glebe land, in the gift of Lord Sudeley.  There is a National school, endowed with £5 per annum.  The charities are of £9 yearly value.  Situated on a picturesque rock overhanging the river Severn is an earthwork, in which a party of Danes are said to have passed the winter.  Quatford Castle is a modern building, beautifully situated.  Lord Sudeley is lord of the manor.  The Rev. Edward Griffith, M.A., the trustees of Careswell’s Charity, and the Rev. Francis Henry Wolryche Whitmore, are chief landowners.  The soil is sandy; the subsoil is red sandstone.  The population in 1861 was 228, exclusive of Eardington; the area is 514 acres; gross estimated rental, exclusive of Eardington, £1,090; rateable value, £996. Eardington is a village and township, separated from Quatford by the Severn; it belongs ecclesiastically to Quatford parish, and was given to the church of Quatford in the time of William the Conqueror.  It is situated on the highway from Bridgnorth to Chelmarsh, two miles from the former.  There is no church; the inhabitants cross in a free ferry boat to Quatford church.  There is a National school, capable of accommodating 70 children.  There are extensive iron refining works, celebrated for making the best charcoal wire, horse nail and gun iron.  Lord Sudeley is lord of the manor.  The principal landowners are Mrs. Oldbury, J. Pitman, Esq., and T. Walker, Esq. The area is 1,299 acres, and the population in 1861 was 370; gross estimated rental, £3,192; rateable value, £2,988.

Knowle Sands is a hamlet.

Letters are received through Bridgnorth; arrive 7 20 a.m.; dispatched 5 50 p.m.

Quatford.

Griffith Rev. Edward, M.A., Quatford castle

Halstead Herbert, esq., Chantry

Postlethwaite Rev. John, M.A., Village green

Shepheard Major-Genl., Quatford house

Sheppard, Misses, Fir grove

Davis John, Fox inn

Hudson William, The Danery

Jones Elizabeth, shopkeeper

Payne Abraham Thomas, grocer

Poole John, farmer, Thorney bank

Tompkins Thomas, farm bailiff to Wm. Sing, esq.

Turley Richard, ferryman

Eardington.

Angeworth Mrs., Eardington house

Cooper Jon. Henry, esq., Knowle sands

Oldbury Mrs.

Wasey Rev. William George Leigh, M.A., [vicar], Knowle sands

Allendar John, clerk to the Eardington charcoal iron &c. works

Baker Thomas, farmer

Baker Thomas, jun., farmer, The Hay

Baldwin William, farmer

Bradney Thomas, Halfway House inn

Fowler William, Crown inn

Fryer Edward, blacksmith

Harley Thomas, shoe maker

Jackson Thomas Augustine, manager of Eardington charcoal iron wire manufactory, Lower forge, and at Hampton road

Jarratt James, butcher

Lawley William, maltster

Lloyd Thomas, boot and shoe maker and grocer

Minshall John, miller

Nokes Samuel, farmer

Rhodes Edward, farmer, Knowle sands

Thomas George, miller, Daniels mill

Walker James, beer retailer

Weaver William Henry, farmer, Moor farm

Wheeler George, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of Bridgnorth
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Bridgnorth
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Bridgnorth Borough; Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury