Skip to content

Pontesbury, Shropshire Family History

Pontesbury is a large parish of 11,000 acres, extending from the Shrewsbury side of Hanwood, less than 4 miles from Shrewsbury, to Asterley, some 10 miles from the town, with the parish of Church Pulverbatch on the south and that of Ford on the north. The village of Pontesbury lies 7½ miles from Shrewsbury and 15½ from Montgomery. The chief part of the parish is in the manor of Ford, comprising the townships of Arscott, Asterley, Boycott, Cruck Meole, Cruckton, Edge, Farley, Ralston, Hinton, The Lea, Little Hanwood, Newnham and Polemere, Pontesford, Plealey, Sascott and Siberscote. Part of Onslow is within the liberties of Shrewsbury; Oakes is an independent manor, in the hundred of Condover, as is Longden, a chapelry of Pontesbury, in the hundred of Ford. The manor of Pontesbury itself is not of large extent. The parish is in the hundred of Ford, the rural deanery of Pontesbury, Archdeaconry of Ludlow, and Diocese of Hereford.

Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XII (1909). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Pontesbury

  • Minsterley
  • Meole Brace
  • Bayston Hill
  • Worthen
  • Shrewsbury St Alkmund
  • Stapleton
  • Condover
  • Shrewsbury St Chad
  • Church Pulverbach
  • Ford
  • Great Hanwood
  • Westbury
  • Habberley

Historical Descriptions

Pontesbury

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Pontesbury, co. Salop.

P. T. Shrewsbury (153) 8½ m. SW b W. Pop. 2458.

A parish in the hundred of Ford; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Hereford, the first portion valued in K. B. 17l. 13s. 4d., the second 17l 13s. 4d. and the third 8l. 10s.; ann. val. P. R. 41l.; church, recently enlarged by the aid of the Incorporated Society, ded. to St. George; patrons (1829) of the first portion, the Rev. Ham. Harrison; of the second, Queen's College, Oxford; and of the third, W. E. Owen, Esq. Here is also a place of worship for Baptists. The petty sessions for this hundred are holden here. Here are extensively worked lead-mines.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Pontesbury. A parish in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford, a rectory divided into three portions, and remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 404 houses, 2,458 inhabitants. In the parish of Pontesbury there was one female upwards of 100 years of age. 7 ½ miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Asterley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Asterley. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 8 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Auston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Auston. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 6 miles south-west of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cruckton

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Cruckton, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, county of Salop, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Shrewsbury; containing 155 inhabitants. A church, dedicated to St. Thomas, being a chapel of ease to the second portion of the rectory of Pontesbury was built by subscription in 1840, at an expense of £900; it is in the early English style, and contains 280 sittings, of which 160 are free.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cruckton. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 4 miles south-west by west of Shrewsbury. Cruckton quarter of the parish of Pontesbury contains 57 houses, 377 inhabitants. Cruckton Hall is the seat of Thomas Harries, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Cruck Meole

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cruck Meole. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 4 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Farley

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Fairley, a township in Pontesbury parish, Salop; 7 ½ miles SW of Shrewsbury. Pop., 19.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Fareley. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Newnham

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Newnham. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 5 miles south-west of Shrewsbury, the residence of J. Niccols, Esq.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Nox

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Nox. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 5 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Plealey

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Plealey. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 5 ½ miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Polmere

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Polmere. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 5 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Pontesford

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Pontesford. A township in the parish of Pontesbury, and in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford. 7 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Pontesbury Parish Registers

Pontesbury Parish Registers 1538-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XII (1909)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Pontesbury Parish Registers 1538-1812

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Ford
  • Province: Canterbury