Newport is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1569
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Newport, a market and post town of England, in Shropshire, on the Strine, 17 miles N.E. from Shrewsbury. It has a parish church, a handsome town-hall, a free grammar-school, and some almshouses. Manf. Wood-ware and turnery, agricultural implements and machines. Mar. D. Tues. and Sat. P0p. 2856. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Shropshire Union line of the London and North Western Railway.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.