Milson

Photo of St George's parish church, Milson, Shropshire, seen from the east by Philip Halling, some rights reserved.

Milson Shropshire Family History

Milson is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alternative names: Milston

Parish church: St George

Parish registers begin: 1678

Parishes adjacent to Milson

  • Nash
  • Knighton-on-Teme
  • Doddington
  • Neen Sollars
  • Cleobury Mortimer
  • Coreley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Milson, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; on a small affluent of the river Rea, at the boundary with Worcester, 1½ mile W by N of Neen Sollars r. station, and 3¼ SW of Cleobury-Mortimer. Post town, Cleobury-Mortimer, under Bewdley. Acres, 1,025. Real property, £1,069. Pop., 157. Houses, 28. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Northwick. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Neen-Sollars, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Milson or Milston. A parish in the hundred of Overs, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. Connected with Neen Solars. 30 houses, 125 inhabitants. 3 miles south-west of Cleobury Mortimer.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Hundred: Overs
  • Province: Canterbury