Ludford Shropshire and Herefordshire Family History¶
Photo of The Old Bell and St Giles' Hospital, Ludford by Philip Pankhurst, some rights reserved.
Ludford is an Ecclesiastical Parish partly in Herefordshire and partly in Shropshire; Created in 1771 from a chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.
Places in the parish include: Street and Sheet.
Parish registers begin: 1643
Parishes adjacent to Ludford¶
- Stanton Lacy
- Richard's Castle
- Ashford Carbonell
THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1848¶
Ludford, a parish partly in the hund. of Wolphy. union of Ludlow, Hereford, and partly in that of Munslow, Salop; ½ mile south of Ludlow, on the river Teme. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £11, returned at £105; gross income £105. Patron, in 1835, E. L. Charlton, Esq. Here is an hospital for six poor persons, with a revenue of £63, founded in 1672 by Sir J. Charlton. Acres 2,920. Houses 61. A. P. £1,846. Pop., in 1801, 253; in 1831, 284. Poor rates, in 1838, £238 1s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824¶
Ludford. A parish partly in the hundred of Munslow, and partly in the county of Hereford. The Shropshire part contains 39 houses, 195 inhabitants. The entire parish contains 280 inhabitants. ¾ mile south-east of Ludlow.
Ludford House. ¾ mile south-east of Ludlow, in the hundred of Munslow, the seat of N. L. Charlton, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870¶
Sheet, a township in Ludford parish, Salop; 1 mile E of Ludlow. Pop., 29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Ludford, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865¶
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Ludford, Parish of
2436 Adney John Edward
2437 Childe John
2438 Cranston John
2439 Gibbon William
2440 Grosvenor George
2441 Halford Thomas, see 2556, 2656
2442 Haywood William
2443 Hodges Chaplin, see 2563
2444 Kent Charles Rev.
2445 Lechmere John
2446 Morris Thomas
2447 Roberts Edward
2448 Ridgley Herbert, see 2232
2449 Shepherd William, jun.
2450 Tanner Edwin, see 2606
2451 Tench John
2452 Towers John, see 2299
2453 Twiddy George
2454 Weaver William
2455 Williams John
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Munslow
- Province: Canterbury