Kinlet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Earnwood.
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1657
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVII (1920) Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Shropshire Parish Register Society General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register SocietyThe Register of Kinlet 1657-1840
Kinlet, a parish in Cleobury-Mortimer district, Salop; 4 miles SW by W of Higley r. station, and 4½ NNE of Cleobury-Mortimer. It contains the hamlet of Earnwood; and its post town is Bewdley. Acres, 6, 692. Real property, £6, 457. Pop., 424. Houses, 85. The property belonged formerly to the Bramptons, and belongs now to their descendant, W. L. Childe, Esq., whose seat is Kinlet Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £380. Patron, W. L. Childe, Esq. The church is cruciform, in fair condition; and contains monuments of the Blounts, the Cornwalls, and the Childes of Kinlet. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kinlet. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 87 houses, 552 inhabitants. 4 miles north-east of Cleobury Mortimer. Kinlet Hall is the residence of William Lacon Childe, Esq. Kinlet was once the residence of the family of the Blounts, from which have descended persons illustrious by almost all the titles of honour which a nation can boast, allied more than once by marriage with the royal family, and employed in the first offices of the state, almost in every reign since the conquest.
They were originally Normans, and are supposed to have derived their name Le Blound, from their having yellow hair. This place is now the property of William Childe, Esq. In the church, which is cruciform, handsome and ancient, having a nave with Saxon or early Norman round arches, are superb monuments of the family of Blount, of the reign of Henry the seventh and eighth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Earnwood, a township in Kinlet parish, Salop; 8½ miles S of Bridgnorth. Pop., 253.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Earnwood. A township in the hundred of Stottesden.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq. For more information see Poll Book 1865.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Cleobury Mortimer Polling District
Kinlet, Parish of
1566 Baker Henry
1567 Baxter Joseph
1568 Bourne William
1569 Childe William Lacon
1570 Childe Edward George, see 1459
1571 Hall John
1572 Horton Samuel
1573 Lawley Joseph
1574 Lawley John
1575 Rudd William
1576 Tedstill Benjamin
1577 Wetherell Robert
1578 White John
Kinlet, with the township of Earnwood, is a parish and village, 8 miles from Kidderminster, 5 from Bewdley, and 4 ½ from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Stottesden, Cleobury Mortimer union, and diocese of Hereford, situated on the western bank of the river Severn. The church is a cruciform building of stone, in the Early Norman style; there are several fine mural monuments to the Childe and Blount families, and some richly stained glass in the chancel window; there is one canopied tomb, dated 1581, containing several figures in attitudes of prayer, and two altar-tombs of the 15th century, to former knights or lords of this place. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £360, with residence and 45 acres of glebe land, in the gift of W. L. Childe, Esq. Here is a school for children of both sexes, built and chiefly supported by W. L. Childe, Esq. William Lacon Childe, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various; the subsoil chiefly freestone. The area is 6,692 acres, of which 1,179 are woods and water; the population in 1861 was 424; gross estimated rental, £6,474; rateable value, £5,985.
Letters are received through Bewdley.
Childe Rev. Edward George, M.A., J.P
Childe Wm. Lacon, esq., J.P., Kinlet hall
Childe William Lacon, jun., esq., J.P., Kinlet hall
Baxter Joseph, farmer, Bradley
Baxter Thos. cowkeeper, Button bridge
Blewitt William R., farmer, Mass house
Bourne William, farmer, Meaton
Bowen John, builder, &c.
Corbet Benjamin, farmer, Radfords
Dawes Henry, farmer, Winnal
Dudfield Benjamin, farmer, Catsley
Elcock Elizabeth, farmer, Winwoods
Elvins Henry, Eagle and Serpent inn
Fletcher John, farmer, Norton’s end
Horton Samuel, farmer and dealer
Jones George, farmer, Mines farm
Jones Richard, farmer, Tip house
Lawley John, farmer, Birch
Lawley Joseph, farmer and machine owner, Button bridge
Lawley Thomas, blacksmith
Mansell Thomas, farmer, Severn lodge
Nind John, farmer, Crump’s end
Rudd Wm., farmer, Hall of Hammonds
Rudd William, jun., farmer, Upper house
Teddstill Benjamin, farmer, Silligrove
Ward John, wheelwright
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.