Ketley. A township in the parish of Wellington, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 1 mile south-east of Wellington. The residence of John Bucknell, Esq., and Henry Williams, Esq.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Ketley is an ecclesiastical parish, with the hamlets of Beveley, Mossey Green, Potter’s Bank, Red Lake, and the The Rock, twelve miles from Shrewsbury, and 137 ½ from London, in the northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Wellington union, and diocese of Lichfield, situate on the turnpike road leading from London to Holyhead. A considerable portion of the township of Hadley is commonly called Ketley, but does not properly belong to Ketley, although the occupiers are here given under this township. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, at Red Lake, is a cruciform structure. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £160, with residence and 10 ½ acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here. The principal minerals here are ironstone, coal, and fire-clay. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various; the subsoil is clay. The area is 774 acres.
BEVELEY is a small hamlet, adjoining Ketley, partly in Wellington parish and partly in Wombridge.
KETLEY BANK is a hamlet, partly in Ketley township.
MOSSEY GREEN, POTTER’S BANK, RED LAKE, and THE ROCK, are in this ecclesiastical district.
Post Office. – John Day, receiver. Letters arrive from Wellington at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 6 30 p.m.
Great Western Railway (Severn Junction), Thomas Littlehales, station master.
Stoneham Rev. Thompson, M.A.
Williams John, esq., Ketley hill
Adams George, cabinet maker
Brown John, White Lion Inn
Burroughs George, rope maker
Davies Joseph, provision dealer, Ketley brook
Ford James, grocer, Ketley sand
Groves William, butcher, Ketley sand
Harley George, blacksmith
Jones Jeffery, farmer
Ketley Iron Company (John Williams, manager)
Lamon William, Seven Stars Inn
Light William, blacksmith, The Rock
Lloyd John, shoe maker
Meredith William, blacksmith
Millington John, farmer
Morris Mary, Horseshoes Inn
Padmore William, greengrocer
Palin Joseph, butcher
Parker Henry, farmer, The Rock
Price Aaron Hughes, grocer
Ravenscroft William, tailor
Stanworth Judith, shopkeeper
Vaughan Joseph, shopkeeper, Manerley lane
Vaughan William, shopkeeper and charter master, Clares lane
Barber Thomas, Compass Inn
Russell Thomas, shopkeeper
M’Knight George, esq
Cadman Sarah, shopkeeper
Lewis William S. and Co., iron fencing and hurdle makers
M’Knight George, surgeon
Gallier Thomas, beer retailer & butcher
Rigby Thomas, shopkeeper
Scarrott Emmanuel, carpenter
Pitchford Edwin, shopkeeper
Pritchard Joseph, school
Vaughan William, Red Lion Inn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.