Skip to content

Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire Family History

Cleobury Mortimer is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: East and West Foreign, East Foreign, West Foreign, Foreign Liberty, Town, and East Foreign Liberty and West Foreign Liberty and Town Liberty.

Parish church: Saint Mary

Parish registers begin: 1601

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Cleobury Mortimer

  • Kinlet
  • Neen Savage
  • Milson
  • Far Forest
  • Hopton Wafers
  • Doddington
  • Mamble with Bayton
  • Woodhouse
  • Neen Sollars

Historical Descriptions

Cleobury Mortimer Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cleobury Mortimer. A market town in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Burford, and archdeaconry of Salop. 328 houses, 1,662 inhabitants. It has a market on Thursdays, and fairs April 21, June 4, October 27, for horned cattle, sheep, and pigs. It owes its name to its having formerly belonged to the noble family of Mortimer, and consists of one large street. The church is an elegant building of what is commonly, though improperly, called Gothick architecture, and once belonged to one of the mitred abbeys. A strong castle which formerly stood in this place, built by Hugh de Montgomery, was entirely destroyed in the wars, between Henry the second, and his rebellious barons.

On the north side of the church, is a free school, founded by Sir Edward Childe, one of the masters in chancery, who left three thousand five hundred pounds, for its support, besides a liberal salary he the master.

Near the school, a little to the east, are conjectured to be the remains of a Danish camp, the history of which is unknown.

This town is generally thought to have been the birthplace of Robert Langelande, otherwise John Malverne, author of the visions of Pierce Plowman; -a severe satire upon the clergy of the fourteenth century. Cleobury Mortimer is about 30 miles south-east of Shrewsbury, in Lat. 52. 24. N. Long. 2. 35. W.

Robert Langelande was one of our most ancient poets, and was a disciple of the celebrated reformer Wickliffe. Boyle, in his dictionary, informs us that “The Visions” were published during the mayoralty of John Chichester of London, in the year 1369. if this account be correct, many of Chaucer’s and Gower’s pieces made their appearance before Langelande’s work. There are, however, many passages in the Plowman’s Tale of Chaucer, which strongly resembles some of those in “The Visions” –a strong presumption that Langelande’s work is many years older than Chaucer’s. In the general idiom and phraseology of Langelande, there is a marked difference. There is a much nearer approach in the works of the former, to the peculiar genius of the Anglo Saxon language, particularly in the derivation of his words, - while the latter attempted, with Gower, to soften the harshness of our native tongue, by the introduction n words from the Latin, Italian, and French languages; and borrowed, from Petrarch and Dante, the seven lined stanza, which he introduced into our poetry.

Langelande’s poem is extremely irregular, both in action and design. It is severe satire upon almost every action of life; but particularly on the conduct of the clergy of that period. It abounds with humour; but, instead of rhymes, the author has contrived to make almost every verse begin with the same letter. It may be easily imagined, that this whimsical alliteration does not contribute largely either to perspicuity of style, or vigour of sentiment. But this mode of versification was borrowed from the Saxon Bards, and the work is full of Saxon Idioms. The following is a specimen of the Introduction.

-“In a summer season when hot was the sun

I shoupe me into the shroubes as I a shepe were;

In habit as a hermit, unholy of werkes

Went wide into the world wonders to hear,

And on a May morning an Malvern hylles,

Me befell a ferly, a fairy methought

I was wery of wand’ring. “ &c.

Selden, Spencer, Hickes, and others, have spoken of this author in terms of commendation. But apart from that vein of humour and just satire which runs through the work, it contains little worthy of admiration.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cleobury Foreign Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cleobury Foreign. A township in the parish of Cleobury Mortimer, and in the Ludlow division of the hundred of Stottesden.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Cleobury Mortimer Aubrey Shropshire Directory 1925

Market – Wednesday

Early Closing – Thursday

Auctioneers

Nock Deighton & Son

Bakers

Onions H. M., 18 Church St.

Parton Thos., High St.

Potter E. H., Lower St.

Banks

Lloyds Bank Ltd., High St.

Midland Bank Ltd., High St.

Blacksmiths

Northwood T., High St.

Booksellers & Stationers

Hull L., High Street

Wakeman H. & Sons, High St.

Bookmakers

Griffiths, High St.

Wakeman H. & Sons, High St.

Williams C., High St.

Butchers

Tongue L., High St.

Williams R., High Street. (see advert).

(Williams Advert – Phone 24, R. Williams, high class meat purveyor. Hotels and Parties catered for. Cleobury Mortimer, Salop.)

Worrall S, High St.

Chemists

Jones T. M., High St.

Coach Builders

Morris A. C., Lower St.

Confectioners

Onions H. M., 18 Church St.

Parton Thomas, High St.

Potter E. H., Lower St.

Drapers

Cordon A C, Church street

Peach & Ball, High street

Fancy Goods Dealers

Williams C, High st

Fishmongers

Lowe A C, Church street

Fruiterers

Midland Egg Collecting Co., High Street

Whatmore H., Lower street

Grocers

Amies Mrs., High street

Downes H. F., Lower street

Jones H., High street

Lloyd T. C. & Co., 1 Church St.

Parton T., High St.

Hotels

King’s Arms, High street. Commercial & Agricultural Hotel. Parties catered for. A Giles, proprietor.

Talbot, High St.

Inns

Fox, High street

New Inn, Lower St.

Old Bell, Lower St.

Old Lion, Lower St.

Royal Fountain, High St.

Swan, High St.

Ironmongers

Corbett C. S. & Son, 16 church St., Implement & Cycle agents.

Dudley W. E, 2 Church St.

Milliners

James W. H., High St.

Peach & Ball, High street

Motor Engineers

Gazzard B., Lower street. Petrol, oils, greases and accessories. Repairs to all metals.

Murray’s Garage, High street. Authorized Ford & Fordson Dealers. Phone No. 12.

Oxy-Acetylene Welders

Gazzard B., Lower street

Painters & Plumbers

Conniff S., High St.

Restaurants

Onions H. M., 18 Church St.

Solicitors

Roberts R. L. Caryl, High St.

Tailors

James W. H., High St.

Tobacconists

Wakeman H & Sons, High St.

Watchmakers

Ison W. High street

Wheelwrights

Morris A C., Lower St.

Source: Herefordshire, Shropshire & Monmouthshire Directory 1925. Printers & Publishers, Aubrey & Co., Leamore, Walsall.

Cleobury Mortimer Trades and Professions Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Trades and Professions

Andrews James, wheelwright and carpenter, Broom green

Backhouse Henry O., farmer and auctioneer, Brandsley

Baldwynd George, carrier

Ballard Richard, shoe maker

Bamford George, farmer

Bamford Thomas, farmer, Rookery

Barber George, farmer and miller, Furnace mill

Beddoes Benjamin, farmer, Earls Ditton

Bodenham John, baker

Booton Thomas, farmer

Boucher James, land and estate agent

Breakwell John, wheelwright and carriage maker

Breakwell Thomas, Old crown Inn and shoe maker

Bridges James Jennings, chemist

Bridgman William, sawyer

Burrow Thomas, Talbot Commercial Inn and assistant overseer

Butcher William, Swan Inn, and farrier

Capell Joseph, Sun Inn

Cook Charles, baker

Cook George, farmer, Mawley town

Corfield William, butcher

Cotton John, farmer, Curdal

Crowe Richard, carpenter

Dalley Thomas Edward, bookseller, stationer, printer, and news agent

Dallow Jane, draper and outfitter

Dallow Richard, fellmonger

Dallow Wm. Augustus, estate agent

Davidson George, farm bailiff

Davis John, Blount Arms, Bewdley road

Dearn Andrew, nail maker

Dorrell and Tedstill, maltsters and millers

Dorrell John, farmer, Brandsley

Downes John Lewis, Old Lion Inn

Downes Thomas, grocer and miller

Downes William, linen and woollen draper

Downes Wm., saddler and harness maker

Edwards Joseph, Royal Fountain Inn

Edwards Thomas, miller, Ditton mill

Evans Edwin Paul, grocer, wine and spirit merchant

Evans Edn. Paul, pharmaceutical chemst

Evans John, ironmonger and tin plate worker

Gill William, butcher

Godfrey Joseph John, surgeon

Gould George, smallware dealer

Gould Thomas, shoe maker

Green Lucy, milliner

Griffiths John, horse-hair sieve maker

Groves John, farmer, Leasowes

Guntrop George, brick, tile and draining pipe maker

Habberley William, mason and builder

Hammond Elizabeth, farmer, New house

Hammond, farmer, Rea side

Hogg Henry Lee, surgeon

Honneyborn Catherine, shopkeeper, Donnington

Hughes Annie Elizabeth, ladies’ boarding and day school

Hume Benjamin, plumber, glazier, painter, and paperhanger

Jefferies William, postmaster

Jefferies William, jun., grocer and chnd’lr

Jones John Wm., blacksmith, machinist and steam threshing machine owner

Jones Richard, farmer, Holly waste

Jones Sarah, farmer

Jones Thomas, farmer, Withypool

Jones William, shoe maker

Jones William Weaver, surgeon

Keysell Mary, shopkeeper

Knott Thomas M., cooper

Lamb Wm., tailor, general draper, and outfitter

Lane John, wheelwright

Lloyd Samuel, King’s Arms Commercial Hotel

Lock Thomas, working cutler & tinman

Merrick John, wheelwright and carpenter

Merrick Thomas, plumber, painter, and glazier

Merrick William, boot and shoe maker

Milward Sarah, flour dealer

Morris Caroline Mary, straw bonnet maker

Napper William, plumber, painter, and glazier

Page John Francis, Fox Inn

Palmer Richard, farmer, Duddenhill

Palmer Samuel, saddler and harness maker

Pennington George, clothier & outfitter

Pope Thomas, surgeon

Postans James, horse breaker

Potter George, tailor

Potter John, butcher

Potter Joseph, baker and confectioner

Potter Samuel, mason

Potter William, blacksmith

Pountney William, Old Bell Inn, and carpenter and joiner

Preece Alexander, farmer

Preece Thomas, Horse and Jockey Inn, Bewdley road

Price James, baker and confectioner

Richardson George, farmer and land-owner, Hazeley grange

Robinson George, chimney sweeper

Rose Caroline, shopkeeper, Ronhill

Rowell Wm. Hillier, second master of endowed school and organist of church

Sheppard George, watch and clock maker

Smith John and Sons, builders, brick, tile and drain pipe makers

Smith Edward, gas works proprietor

Stanton Alfred, boot and shoe maker, Holly waste

Stockall Thomas and Henry, watch and clock makers

Sumners John, farmer, Oak farm

Tafft Thomas, shopkeeper

Tongue George, butcher

Tongue Julia, milliner

Trow Adam Prattinton, solicitor

Vaughan Solomon, beer retailer and blacksmith

Ward Felix John, farmer, Lea farm

Waring John, inland revenue officer

Webb Charles, boot and shoe maker

Wedge Sarah, smallware dealer

Wheeler Benjamin, grocer, &c.

Wheeler James, shoe maker

Wheeler Joseph, maltster and miller

Whitehead Thomas, Plough Inn

Whiteman Henry, farmer, Little Southwood

Williams Emma, shopkeeper

Williams Thomas, butcher

Wilson William Henry, head master of free school

Worrall Charles, butcher

Wyer Emily, farmer, Duddenhill

Wyer John, beer retailer

Wyer Richard, millwright and agricultural machine maker

Yapp Thomas, grocer and farmer

Yapp William, tailer and draper

Yates John, farmer, Catherton

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Cleobury Mortimer Slaters Directory 1850

Is a parish in the hundred of Stottesden - the market town, a small one, is 137 N.W. from London, 33 S.S.E. from Shrewsbury, and 11 E. from Ludlow; situated on the road from the metropolis to the latter town, close to the Southern border of the county abutting upon Worcestershire, and on an eminence rising gradually from the western bank of the river Rea, which is crossed by a neat stone bridge. The country around here is very productive, and its fertility is promoted by the river, and by numerous fine springs that rise in this neighbourhood. The name of the place is said to be derived from its situation, in a district abounding with clay, and from the Saxon word byrig, a town; the adjunct, by which it is distinguished from North Cleobury, is obtained from its ancient possessor, Ralph de Mortimer, who held it at the time of the general survey. The town consists principally of one long street, in which are some good houses, and the mutilated remains of an old cross. The government of the town is vested in a constable, who is annually appointed at the court leet of the lord of the manor, William Lacon Childe, Esq. This town is included in the twenty-seventh circuit of the County Court for the recovery of debts not exceeding £20. Formerly this was a place of good trade, having extensive iron works; these have disappeared, and, with the exception of paper, the town is not distinguished by any manufactures. The malting business is carried on by a few individuals; and on the Clee hills, about three miles west, are collieries, producing good coal, but the works have little, or no influence upon the trade of the town.

The parish church of Saint Mary is an ancient structure, with a plain square tower, surmounted by an octagonal spire of wood, and formerly belonged to one of the mitred abbeys. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the lord of the manor; the Rev. Edward George Childe is the present incumbent. There is a chapel each for Methodists and Roman Catholics – the latter attached to Mawley Hall, about a mile to the west, the seat of Sir Edward Blount, Bart. The locality of this hall is very beautiful, and the prospects extensive and pleasing. The endowed school was founded pursuant to the will of Sir William Lacon Childe, knight, dated 1714: and in 1740 the ground was purchased on the buildings are erected: it is a well endowed establishment, and educates upwards of two hundred pupils, of whom forty boys and girls are annually clothed; and a fee is given for apprenticing boys on their leaving the school. The present income (including land) amounts to about £500 per annum: the management is vested in ten trustees: the head master is appointed by W. L. Childe, Esq. as representative of the founder and visitor of the schools. The market is held on Wednesday, and the fairs April 21st, May 2nd, Trinity Monday, and October 27th. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,716 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1,730.

POST OFFICE, William Jefferies, Post Master – Letters from various places East and South, arrive (from Bewdley) every morning at twenty minutes past seven, and are despatched thereto at eighteen minutes past five in the afternoon.

Letters from various places West and North, arrive (from Ludlow) every afternoon at eighteen minutes past fire, and are despatched thereto at twenty minutes past seven in the morning.

GENTRY AND CLERGY.

Blount Sir Edward, Bart. Mawley Hall

Botfield Mrs. Lucy, Hopton Court

Brown the Rev. Henry, St. John’s Parsonage, Doddington

Childe Rev. Edward George, Cleobury Mortimer

Childe William Lacon, Esq. Kinlet Hall

Cocks Rev. Charles Richard Somers, Neen Savage

Crump Thomas, Esq. Chorley

Crump Thomas, jun. Esq. Cleobury Mortimer

Davis Rev. William, Bayton

Green Rev. Thomas, Mawley

Hardwicke Rev. D. D., Milson Rectory

Halliburton Rev. Chas. Corley Rectory

Hayton Rev. John, Cleobury Mortimer

Kemp Rev. Henry, Cleobury Mortimer

Maddison Rev. Charles, St. Hesdon Vicarage

Prest Rev. – Kinlet Vicarage

Reynolds Mrs. Elizabeth. Cleobury Mortimer

Richardson Lieutenant Jno. Cleobury Mortimer

Smith Captain – Holly Waste, Cleobury Mortimer

Wicksted Charles, Esq. Shakenhurst

Williams Rev. Jno. Farlow Parsonage

Woodward Mrs. Sarah, Cleobury Mortimer

Woodward Rev. Thomas, Hopton Rectory

ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.

Allday Miss Ann (boarding & day)

Endowed school – Rev. Henry kemp, head master

Infants’ School – Mrs. Tongue, mistress

Newall Emma

ATTORNEYS.

Hinde William (& clerk of the county court),

Pope Benjamin

Southam Samuel Phillips, (& coroner for the county)

AUCTIONEERS.

Hill William

Jones William Lloyd

Ward Chas. (& veterinary surgeon)

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

Keysell Edward

Price James

BLACKSMITHS.

Griffiths Pete (farrier)

Harris Thomas

Haynes John (& ironmongers & china dealer)

Potter Edward

Webb George

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

Bodendam James

Breakwell Thomas

Brown John

Whatmore John

Wheeler Ann

Wheeler James

Whetstone Geo.

BUTCHERS.

Bright Edward

Lloyd Thomas

Williams Thomas

COOPERS

Dovey Samuel

Knott Richard

FIRE, &C. OFFICE AGENTS.

Birmingham (fire), James Mytton

Crown (life), Edmd Banks Whitcombe

GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES

Beddoe Ann

Dallow James

Downes James

Downes Thos.

Eaton Robert

Evans Edwin P

Jefferies William

Keysell Edward

Pitt Mary

Whetstone Wm.

Williams Elizbh

Yapp Thomas

INNS & PUBLIC HOUSES

Bell, James Lane

Crown, Thomas Edwards

Fountain, Elizabeth Williams

Fox, Mary Pitt

King’s Arms, William Bishop

Plough, Joseph Mineall

Red Lion, Thomas Worrall

Swan, George Bridges

Talbot (& posting house, & inland revenue office)

LAND AGENTS

Boucher James

Bourne James

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS

Downes William

Mytton James

Preen Charles

MALTSTERS

Beddoe Charles (& dealer in hops)

Dorrell Benjamin (and miller)

Keysell Edward

Littler William

Wheeler William (and miller)

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS

Cooper Mary Ann

Morris Caroline

Nichols Misses – ,

Nott Margaret (straw bonnet maker)

STONE MASONS

Habberley William

Hare Thomas

Potter Henry

Potter James (and bricklayer)

SURVEYORS – LAND

Dallow William (and road)

Jones William Lloyd

Hill William

TAILORS

Cook Charles

Farmer Thomas

Mytton James

Pennington George

Potter George

WHEELWRIGHTS

Lane James

Merrick John

Williams Thomas

MISCELLANEOUS

Cook William, high bailiff, clerk to the union, assistant clerk to the magistrates and superintendent registrar of births, deaths and marriages

Cowbrick William, inland revenue officer

Evans Jno. tin-plate worker & ironmonger

Griffiths John, hair dresser

Hall Thos. Lambert & Son, paper makers, Cleobury Mills

Hare Thomas, joiner

Haycox John, seedsman

Hume Benjamin, painter and glazier

Lawley William, millwright

Littler William, saddler

Mantle James, millwright

Napper William, painter and glazier

Palmer Samuel, saddler

Smith John, joiner

Stockell Thomas, watch and clock maker

Wadeley James, beer retailer

Wainwright William, relieving officer

Whetstone William, beer retailer

Whitcombe Edmund Banks, registrar of births, deaths and marriages

POOR LAW UNION

Workhouse, Cleobury Mortimer

Master – Isaac Read

Matron – Sarah Read

Clerk to the Board of Guardians – Mr. William Cook

Medical officer – Henry Vevers

Relieving Officer – William Wainwright

COACHES

To BIRMINGHAM, the Royal Mail, (from Ludlow) Calls at the Talbot every afternoon at a quarter-past five; goes through Kidderminster, Stourbridge and Dudley.

To LUDLOW, the Royal Mail (from Birmingham), Calls at the Talbot way morning at a quarter-past seven.

RAILWAY.

The nearest Stations at present are those at Birmingham and Wolverhampton, both about 27 miles distant; but the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, when completed will pass near to, or through Ludlow, 11 miles to the west of Cleobury Mortimer.

There is a daily Conveyance to Birmingham, as above stated.

CARRIER

To LUDLOW, - Griffiths, Tuesday and Friday, and to Stourport, Monday and Thursday.

Source: Slater’s Directory (Shropshire Section) 1850

Clebury Universal British Directory 1791

Is distant from London 132 miles, 13 from Bridgenorth, eight from Bewdley, and eight from Tenbury. The market is on Wednesday; fairs April 21, Trinity Monday, and October 27. The church has s spire, six musical bells, and a clock.

Clebury is situated near Clee-hill, on the north side of the Temd [sic]. Here is a free-school founded by Sire Lacon William Child, who left 3500l for supporting it, and a considerable salary to the master, who is obliged to instruct all such youths of the town as chuse to attend. It is called North-Clebury and Clebury-Mortimer, to distinguish it from Clebury on the borders of Worcestershire. It has a castle, built in 1160.

There is no post-office in this town; a man goes to Bewdley Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, for letters, and delivers them at Clebury. – There is no stage or mail-coach to or from this town. – Several wagons pass through to Bewdley, but the days are not regular. The excise-office is at the Eagle Inn: Mr. Harrison, supervisor; Mr. Bowell and Mr. Skinner, officers.

The following is a list of the principal inhabitants:

GENTRY.

Compson James, Esq.

Walker Mrs.

Watts Miss

CLERGYMAN.

Attwood Rev. Mr.

PHYSIC.

Scott Kempson, Surgeon

Share Elizabeth, Druggist

LAW.

Fox John, Attorney

Woodward John, Attorney

TRADERS.

Adams Edward, Grocer

Atham Francis, Farmer

Barker John, Skinner

Bavan Thomas, Shoemaker

Bodnam Edward, Taylor

Brazier Edward, Shoemaker

Carter Michael, Huckster

Colebatch Geo. Linen & Woollen-draper

Corfield John, Smith

Crange Geo. Linen and Woollen-draper

Crannage William, Ironmonger

Dance William, Hair-dresser

Downes Thomas, Sadler

Eaton Samuel, Weaver and Dyer

Evans James, Mason

Glenton John, Joiner

Green Benjamin, Nailer

Herbert John, Linen and Woollen-draper

Hill John, Joiner

Hill Walter, Joiner

Hill John, Huckster

Hill Thomas, Timber-merchant

Hobday Jane, King’s Arms Inn

Horton Samuel, Smith

Hunter John, Grocer

James Charles, Butcher

Jones John, Butcher

Jones Thomas, Shoemaker

Kitson Edward, Cooper

Lloyd Mary, Victualler, (Bull)

Lowe Richard, Butcher

Lowe John, Tanner

Man James, Baker

Morris William, Weaver

Newall Benjamin, Taylor

Newall William, Clock and Watchmaker

Noakes William, Staymaker

Norgrave Thomas, Staffordshire-ware Shop

Norncott Thomas, Eagle Inn

Perry Richard, Smith

Phillips Robert, Talbot Inn

Phillips William, Peruke-maker

Postand Joseph, Shoemaker

Rawlins Samuel, Currier

Reynolds Henry, Weaver and Dyer

Reynolds James, Grocer

Reynolds John, Joiner

Sears Benjamin, Victualler, (Talbot)

Stevens James, Paper-manufacturer

Tatsdale John, Maltster

Taylor Benjamin, Carpenter

Thomas Wm. Victualler, (Red Lion)

Throath John, Taylor

Turner Samuel, Wheelwright

Walker Thomas, Plumber and Glazier

Walker Thomas, Victualler, (Crown)

Wall Edward, Breeches-maker

Wheeler – , Maltster

Wheeler William, Victualler, (Fox)

Wright Sarah, Grocer

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Poll Books

Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Cleobury Mortimer Polling District

Cleobury Mortimer, Parish of

1448 Backhouse Richard Onions

1449 Backhouse Henry Onions

1450 Bamford George

1451 Barber George

1452 Beddoe Thomas

1453 Beddoes Benjamin

1454 Blount Edward, Sir

1455 Boucher James

1456 Bourne James

1457 Bradley George, see 2220

1458 Bodenham William

1459 Childe Edward George, Rev. see 1570

1460 Dallow William

1461 Dorrell William

1462 Dorrell James

1463 Dorrell John

1464 Downes William

1465 Downes Thomas

1466 Edwards Thomas

1467 Edwards William

1468 Evans John

1469 Evans Edwin Paul, see 632

1470 Green Thomas

1471 Giles John

1472 Habberley William

1473 Hammond John

1474 Hammonds John

1475 Hume Benjamin

1476 Hume James, dead

1477 Jones Thomas

1478 Jones William Lloyd

1479 Jones William Weaver, see 1627

1480 Jeffries William

1481 Langford John

1482 Lloyd Thomas

1483 Marston Thomas

1484 Mellors Samuel

1485 Meredith Joseph

1486 Pope Thomas

1487 Potter James

1488 Potter Samel

1489 Poultney William

1490 Prees Alexander

1491 Pugh George

1492 Robinson George

1493 Robinson George

1494 Southam Samuel Philip

1495 Smith James

1496 Smith John

1497 Summers William

1498 Trow Adam Prattinton, see 1552

1499 Wall Edward Thomas, see 1662

1500 Ward Felix

1501 Ward James

1502 West William

1503 Whatmore John

1504 Whiteman Henry

1505 Whetstone William

1506 Whitcomb Edmund

1507 Whitehouse Frederick Ernest Rev.

1508 Wickstead Charles

1509 Williams Thomas

1510 Windle John, see 604

1511 Woodward Herbert, Rev.

1512 Worrall Thomas

1513 Wyer Richard

1514 Wyer William

1515 Yapp Thomas

1516 Yapp William

1517 Yates John

Parish Registers

Cleobury Mortimer Parish Registers 1601-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. IX (1909)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Cleobury Mortimer Parish Registers 1601-1812 - Archive.org

The Register of Mawley Hall, St. Mary (Roman Catholic) 1763-1831

Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William

Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

The Register of Mawley Hall, St. Mary (Roman Catholic) 1763-1831 - Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Cleobury Mortimer
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury