Clee St. Margaret Shropshire Family History¶
Photo of Clee St.Margaret Overlooking the patchwork of fields and hedges around the village from the rim of Nordy Bank Iron-Age hill fort. by Peter Evans, some rights reserved.
Clee St. Margaret is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cockshutford.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin: 1721
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Primitive Methodists. A chapel for Primitive Methodists was erected in 1866.
Parishes adjacent to Clee St. Margaret¶
- Cold Weston
- Stoke St Milborough
Clee St. Margaret. The copyright on this image is owned by Geoff Pick and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870¶
Clee-St. Margaret, a parish in Ludlow district, Salop; under the Clee Hills, 7½ miles NNE of Ludlow r. station. It includes the hamlet of Coxheadford; and its post town is Ludlow. Acres, 1, 589. Real property, £1, 241. Pop., 281. Houses, 65. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £172. Patron, the Rev. H. T. Pelham. The church was repaired in 1860.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845¶
St Margaret's parish church, Clee St Margaret, Shropshire, seen from the northeast. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Pankhurst and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Clee (St. Margaret's), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 8¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Ludlow; containing 269 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King's books at £2. 8. 4.; net income, £172; patrons, Representatives of J. C. Pelham, Esq. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics at Clee Hills.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824¶
Clee St. Margaret. A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a curacy remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 55 houses, 229 inhabitants. 7 miles north north-east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Clee St. Margaret Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875¶
Clee St. Margaret is a parish and village, with the hamlet of Cockshutford, 8 miles north-north-east from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is situated on the Clee brook. The church of St. Margaret is an old structure. The living is a vicarage, annual value £164, in the gift of the Rev. H. Thursby Pelham, M.A. The Rev. Henry Thursby Pelham, M.A., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A chapel for Primitive Methodists was erected in 1866. The soil is a strong clay upon limestone. The charities are only 12s. 10d. The area is 1,590 acres, and the population in 1861 was 281; gross estimated rental, £1,228; rateable value, £1,045.
Cockshutford is a hamlet in this parish, situated in a sequestered and romantic dingle. At Norley Bank are traces of an encampment.
Letters are received through Ludlow.
Carrier. – William Humphreys, to Bridgnorth, every Saturday; to Ludlow, every Monday.
Clee St. Margaret¶
Clinton William, wheelwright
Corfield George, farmer
Duce Jane, Shoulder of Mutton Inn
Gwilt John, Boot Inn
Hall Thomas, farmer
Heighway John, farmer
Heighway Samuel, farmer
Howells William, miller
Humphreys William, shopkeeper
Jones Samuel, farmer
Kelly John, blacksmith
Millichamp Thomas, farmer
Passey Richard, farmer
Phaisey John, shopkeeper
Wall George, farmer
Weaver William, shoe maker
Welch Edward, tailor
Wheelwright Thomas, farmer
Bennet Edward, farmer
Duce Richard, farmer
Norgrove Edwin, farmer
Turner Edward, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.
Clee St. Margaret, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865¶
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Clee St. Margaret, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865.View Full Size
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Clee St. Margaret, Parish of
2332 Bennett Edward
2333 Burton John
2334 Cooper Abraham
2335 Cooper Levi
2336 Dodson John
2337 Duce Edward
2338 Duce Jerre
2339 Edwards William
2340 Hall John
2341 Hall Thomas, see 4150
2342 Heighway Samuel
2343 Heighway John
2344 Heighway John
2345 Heighway William
2346 Howells Isaac
2347 Jones Samuel
2348 Jones Samuel
2349 Norgrove Edwin
2350 Patrick John, dead
2351 Pelham Augustus Thursby, see 3777
2352 Turner Edward
County: Shropshire Civil Registration District: Ludlow Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory) Diocese: Hereford Rural Deanery: Ludlow Poor Law Union: Ludlow Hundred: Munslow Province: Canterbury Polling District: Ludlow