Claverley

Claverley, Shropshire Family History

Claverley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Aston, Besbridge, Broughton, Dallicott, Farmcott, Woundale, Heathton, Hopstone, Ludstone, Shipley, Sutton, Parks Lane and Gatacre.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1568

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Claverley

  • Alveley
  • Bobbington
  • Bobbington
  • Trysull
  • Quatt
  • Pattingham
  • Worfield

Historical Descriptions

Claverley

Claverley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Claverley. A parish in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, in the peculiar jurisdiction of Bridgnorth. 254 houses 1305 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles east of Bridgnorth. Claverley gave birth to Sir Robert Brooke, who was educated at Oxford, from whence he removed to the middle Temple. In 1553, he became chief justice of the common pleas, in which office he conducted himself with inflexible integrity, and died in 1558. His works are, “An Abridgment of the year books,” in folio; “Certain cases adjudged;” and “Reading on the statutes of limitations,” 8vo.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Aston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Aston. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 6 miles west of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Besbridge

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Besbridge. A township in the parish of Claverley. And in the franchise of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Broughton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Broughton. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 6 miles east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Dallicot

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Dallicot. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 miles north-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Farmcott

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Farmcott. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 miles south-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Gatacre

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Gatacre. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 6 miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Heathton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Heathton. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 6 miles east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hopton or Hopestone

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hopton or Hopestone. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 miles east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ludstone

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ludstone. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry. 5 miles north-east by east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parks Lane

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Park’s Lane. A township in the parish of Claverley, and in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Brimstry.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Claverley, Poll Book 1865

Parish Registers

Claverley Parish Registers 1568-1812 (Marriages to 1837)

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. X (1907)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Claverley Parish Registers 1568-1812 (Marriages to 1837) - Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of Bridgnorth
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Bridgnorth
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury