Churchstoke

St Nicholas Church Churchstoke.

Churchstoke Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Family History

Churchstoke is an Ancient Parish partly in Shropshire and partly in Montgomeryshire.

Other places in the parish include: Brompton, Rhiston, and Brompton and Rhiston.

Parish church: Originally dedicated to St. Mary, now dedicated to St. Nicholas.

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Churchstoke

  • Chirbury
  • Bacheldre
  • Mellington
  • Caeliber Isaf
  • Weston Madoc
  • Montgomery

Historical Descriptions

Churchstoke

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Churchstoke, 4 miles S.E. Montgomery. P. 1527

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Church Stoke. A parish partly in Caurse hundred, in the county of Montgomery, partly in Montgomery hundred, county of Montgomery, partly in the lower division of the hundred of Chirbury. The whole of the parish contains 1,338 inhabitants. The Shropshire part contains 34 houses, 197 inhabitants. 5 ½ miles north-west of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Brompton

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Brompton, co. Salop.

P. T. Montgomery (108) 3m. Pop. 197.

A township with Reston [sic], in the parish of Church Stoke and hundred of Chorbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Brompton. A township in the parish of Church Stoke, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 6 ½ miles north-west of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Riston

THE SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Riston. A township in the parish of Church Stoke, and in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury. 6 miles north-west of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Brompton and Rhiston Poll Book of the Election, July 1865

Directories

Brompton and Rhiston Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Montgomery
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Montgomery
  • Hundred: Chirbury
  • Province: Canterbury