Church Preen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1680
PREEN (CHURCH), a parish in the hundred of Condover, county of Salop, 6¼ miles (W. by S.) from Much Wenlock, containing 73 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Longnor, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Webster, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Here was a small Cluniac priory, a cell to that of Wenlock.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Preen or Church Preen. A parish in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 13 houses, 73 inhabitants. 5 miles south-west of Wenlock. The seat of John Windsor, Esq.; a very elegant residence. In the reign of Edward I. there was a religious cell in the village, which cell was held of the lords of the castle of Holdgate; and the priors of Wenlock used to present the same when vacant, to the keepers of the said castle, who had no other right to the cell than the mere possession, till such presentations were made. At that time, the ancestors of John Cressett Pelham, Esq., (one of the present members for the county of Salop,) were successively Lords of the Manor and Castle of Holdgate.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Church Preen is a parish and village, 11 miles from Shrewsbury, and 6 from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Cound division of Condover hundred , Union of Atcham, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice, once the chapel of a monastic establishment connected with the abbey of Wenlock. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £82, in the gift of Arthur Sparrow, Esq. Adjoining the church is the Manor House, a mansion built on the foundation of a part of the ancient monastic establishment. Arthur Sparrow, Esq., who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Bradford, and the Rev. Samuel Minton, are the principal landowners. The area is 1,155 acres; the population in 1861 was 97; gross estimated rental, £1,356; rateable value, £1,283.
Letters from Shrewsbury, through Dorrington.
Sparrow Arthur, esq. J.P. Manor house
Alsop John, farmer
Evans Joseph, farmer
Evans Samuel, farmer, Mere oak
Jones Richard, farmer
Nixon John, farmer
Price John, wheelwright and grocer
Roberts Benjamin, farmer
Wright John, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871