Chetton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
The parish comprises the townships of Chetton, Ewdon Burnell, Ewdon George, Faintree and Criddon, with the chapelry of Loughton.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Chetton, a parish in Bridgnorth and Cleobury-Mortimer districts, and a sub-district in Bridgnorth district. Salop. The parish lies on an affluent of the Severn, 4 miles SW of Bridgnorth r. station; and is chiefly in Bridgnorth district, but includes Loughton chapelry in Cleobury - Mortimer district. Post-town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 4,936. Real property, £6,992. Pop., 590. Houses, 120. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Godiva. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Loughton, and with the rectories of Deuxhill and Glazeley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £772. Patron, T. W. W. Browne, Esq. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £14.—The sub-district contains sixteen parishes, the main part of Chetton parish, and part of another. Acres, 38,589. Pop., 4,725. Houses, 952.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Chetton. A parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory remaining in charge, and consolidated with Deuxhill, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 4 ½ miles south-west of Bridgnorth. 108 houses, 573 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bridgnorth Polling District
Chetton, Parish of
507 Adams James
508 Adams Richard
509 Baker John
510 Beaman Joseph
511 Bridges John Afflect
512 Clay George Minton
513 Clutton George
514 Davies James
515 English Henry Bobert
516 Gordon Alexander
517 Gwilliam Benjamin
518 Harris George
519 Hall Thomas
520 Haynes Job
521 Jones John
522 Lloyd John
523 Masters John Smallman, see 756
524 Mayes Thomas
525 Palmer George
526 Porter Thomas
527 Purton Thomas Pardoe
528 Purton John Smyth
529 Reynolds Richard
530 Rudd John
531 Stobbs John
532 Turner William, see 3797
533 Wall Thomas
CHETTON is a parish, with the chapelry of LOUGHTON, 3 ½ miles south-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh Division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Giles is an old stone structure, in the Early English style, and was repewed about 1850. The living is a rectory, united with Glazeley, Deuxhill, and the chapelry of Loughton, yearly value £569, with residence and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Thomas Whitmore Wylde Browne, Esq. There is a school for girls and boys, with a small endowment of about £10 10s. yearly. There are charities of £21 yearly value, for the distribution of bread, support of the school, &c. John Pritchard, Esq., Thomas Pardoe Purton, Esq., J.P., and James Stoddart, Esq., are chief landowners. The soil is clayey; the subsoil similar. The population of the parish in 1861 was 490, exclusive of Loughton; the area is 3,921a. 1r. 12p.; the gross estimated rental (except Loughton) is £4,523; rateable value, £4,119. The parish comprises the townships of Chetton, Ewdon Burnell, Ewdon George, Faintree and Criddon, with the chapelry of Loughton.
Letters are received through Bridgnorth.
LOUGHTON is a chapelry and village, in the parish of Chetton, 9 miles from Ludlow, and 6 from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division, hundred of Stottesden, Cleobury Mortimer union and county court district. The chapel is a small stone fabric, built in the year 1622. The living is a chapelry united with Chetton. There is a school for girls and boys. The Duke of Cleveland is the principal landowner. The soil is stiff; subsoil, clay and dhu stone. The population in 1861 was 100; the area is 1,015 acres; gross estimated rental, £744; rateable value, £673.
Letters received through Bridgnorth.
Backhouse Richd. Onians, esq. Down ho
Purton Rev. John Smyth, B.D. Rectory
Stoddart James, esq. Walls batch
Adams James, shopkeeper
Beaman Joseph, farmer, Mayes farm
Cultton George, beer retlr. Down cot
Corfield Thomas, farmer, Tedstill
Davis William, shoe maker, Wood
Duppa Brian and Norman, farmers, Tedstill
Gordon Alexander, farmer, The Hills
Gwilliam Edward, farmer, Lower house
Gwilliam Joseph, farmer, Little Scotl’d
Gwilliam William, beer retailer
Hall Edward, farmer, The Drayles
Holland John, farmer, Upper Cockshutts
Huffer William, farmer, Defford
Jones John, shoe maker, Oldfield
Jones Mrs. farmer, Upper house
Perry Richard, mason, Defford
Porter Wm. wheelwright, The Down
Powell William, farmer, Down
Rabey James, miller, Down mill
Reynolds Thomas, wheelwright
Rudd Timothy, cowkeeper, Oldfield
Skelding Thomas, farmer, Hollycott
Stoddart James, farmer and landowner, Walls batch
Wall Thomas, farmer, Archley
Yardley Daniel, blacksmith, The Down
Yardley William, farmer, The Stocking
Bennett David, land steward to John Pritchard, esq.
Broome George, shoe maker
Davies James, farmer
Gwilliam Benjamin, farmer and jobber
Gwilliam John, miller
Pool William, farmer
Purton Thomas Pardoe, esq. J.P. Faintree hall
Burrow George, farmer
Evison William, farmer
Hall Thomas, farmer
Stubbs John, farmer
Blakemore Jesse, farmer
Duce Edward, farmer
Duce William, farmer
Evans John, shoe maker
Hall John, farmer
Hodnett James, farmer
Lane Thomas, shopkeeper
Lawley Francis, butcher
Massey William, farmer
Noakes Mary, shopkeeper
Wetherell Nathan, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871