Cheswardine, a township and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 4 ½ miles SSE of Market-Drayton, and 7 ½ N by W of Newport r. station; and has a post-office under Market-Drayton. The parish includes also the townships of Chipnall, Goldstone, Ellerton, Sambrook, and Sowdley. Acres, 5,723. Real property, £9,564. Pop., 1,159. Houses, 225. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £245. Patron, E. W. Harding, Esq. The church was built in 1809; but has the tower of a previous edifice. Charities, £59.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Cheswardine. A parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North, a vicarage, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Stafford. 155 houses, 938 inhabitants. 4 miles south-east of Drayton.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824