Caynham Shropshire Family History¶
Photo of St Mary's parish church, Caynham, Shropshire, seen from the east by Richard Webb, some rights reserved.
Caynham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Cainham
Other places in the parish include: Bennett’s End.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Caynham¶
- Little Hereford
- Ashford Carbonell
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831¶
Cainham, a parish in the hundred of Stottesden, county of Salop, 3½ miles (E.S.E.) from Ludlow, containing 936 inhabitants. The living is a discharged Vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4. J. Mainwaring, Esq. was patron in 1818. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824¶
Cainham; or Caynham. A parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 194 houses, 936 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles south-east by east of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The Register of Clee Hill (Parish of Caynham) Wesleyan Chapel 1796-1829¶
Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903) Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Cainham Shropshire Poll Book 1865¶
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Ludlow Polling District
Cainham, Parish of
2306 Adams Charles
2307 Andrews William
2308 Bate Samuel, see 2251
2309 Bate Edwin
2310 Bate William
2311 Berrington John, see 2428
2312 Berrington William
2313 Bolton George Edward
2314 Corbett Thomas
2315 Curtis Sir William, Bart
2316 Cook Thomas
2317 Dewin Edwin
2318 Fletcher John
2319 Hatton Josiah
2320 Hatton Richard
2321 Jones Thomas
2322 Key James
2323 Matthews Thomas
2324 Medlicott Richard
2325 Purslow John
2326 Revel John
2327 Reynolds John
2328 Small Richard, see 2274
2329 Small William
2320 Small Edward
2331 Small Samuel
Caynham Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871¶
Caynham is a parish, 3 ½ miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of Stottesden hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £450, with residence, in the gift of S. K. Mainwaring, Esq. There is a National school for boys and girls. Caynham Camp is noted in history as the place from which Cromwell attacked the Royalist forces in Ludlow Castle. Caynham Court is a modern mansion, the seat of Sir William Curtis, Bart., J.P., who is lord of the manor, and , with the vicar, the trustees of the late Hon. R. W. Clive, Sir Charles H. R. Boughton, Bart., and A. R. Boughton Knight, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and limestone. The population in 1861 was 755; the area is 2,483; gross estimated rental, £4,016; rateable value, £3,390.
Bennett’s End is a township, partly included in Knowbury.
Letters are received through Ludlow.
Adams Rev. Charles, Vicarage
Curtis Sir William, bart. J.P. Caynham court
Grove Miss, Pougnhill
Moody Major-Gen. Richard Clement, Caynham house
Williams Rev. Seymour Yates, B.A.
Andrews William, farmer
Bolton George, farmer
Bowen Thomas, butcher and shopkeeper, Bennett’s end
Cook Thomas, farmer, Lady field
Corbett Thomas, shoe maker
Darby Edmund, farmer
Davis James, wheelwright
Edwards William, blacksmith
Mason Richard, farmer
Matthews Thomas, farmer
Medlicott Richard, farmer
Morris James, Bennett’s End Inn, and farmer, Bennett’s end
Small Edward, farmer
Small William, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ludlow
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Ludlow
- Poor Law Union: Ludlow
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury