Buildwas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1665
Buildwas, co. Salop.
P. T. Much Wenlock (148) 4 m. NE b N. Pop. 240.
A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, not in charge; church ded. to the Holy Trinity; patron (1829) W. Moseley, Esq. Here is an elegant iron bridge erected across the Severn by the Colebrook Dale Company in lieu of a very ancient one carried away by a flood in 1795. The span of the arch is 130 feet, and the rise 24 feet. On the south bank of the Severn in a rich pastoral valley, backed by woody banks, are the remains of an abbey of Cistercians, founded by Roger, Bishop of Chester, in 1135. The walls of the abbey church remain entire, and the view of this venerable church from the west end is very striking, and contrasted with the gay verdure around it forms a picture of fallen monastic greatness rarely to be surpassed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Buildwas, Magna, and Parva. One township. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a curacy in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 52 houses, 240 inhabitants. 3 miles north-east by north of Much Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Buildwas Parish Registers 1665-1812, Marriages to 1837
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIV (1921)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register SocietyBuildwas Parish Registers 1665-1812 - Archive.org Buildwas Marriages 1754-1837 - Archive.org
Buildwas is a parish and village, situated on the Ironbridge and Shrewsbury turnpike road, four miles north from Much Wenlock, eleven from Shrewsbury, and seven from Wellington station, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Madeley union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is bisected by the river Severn, over which is a bridge, having a span of 130 feet. The church of the Holy Trinity is a stone building with a wooden turret; it was rebuilt in 1720. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, in the gift of Walter Moseley, Esq. A school was erected in 1856 by Walter Moseley, Esq., for the poor of the parish. There are charities, yearly value £6. Near here are the ruins of an abbey of the 12th century, for monks of the Cistercian order. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay. The population in 1861 was 276; the area is 2,152 acres; gross estimated rental £2,480: rateable value £2,358.
Letters through Ironbridge.
Carrier - William Williams, Friday morning, for Ironbridge and Broseley, returning same evening for Shrewsbury.
Railway Stations, Sidney Curtis, station master.
Little Rev. George Savile Lumley, B.A., Vicarage.
Moseley Mrs. Elizabeth, The Abbey
Moseley Walter esq., Buildwas park
Crowther Frederick, butcher
Downes Thomas, Bridge Inn, and farmer
Evans William, cowkeeper
Evason John, cowkeeper
Fewtrell Edward, farmer
Green Edward and John, farmers
Hewlett John, farmer, Lawless cross
Hughes Thomas, blacksmith
Morgan John, farmer, Abbey grange
Pugh John, farmer
Ridley Samuel and Co., millers (Joseph Shaw, manager)
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871