Broughton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1718 from a chapelry in Shrewsbury St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Yorton.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1705
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Broughton, co. Salop.
P.T. Shrewsbury (153) 8 m. N. Pop.177.
A parish in the liberty of the town of Shrewsbury; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry of Salop and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, of the certified value of 4l.; ann. val. P. R. 46l.; patron (1829) R. Lister, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Broughton. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a chapelry in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 31 houses, 177 inhabitants. 3 miles south of Wem.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. 1 (1900)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register SocietyBroughton Parish Registers 1705-1812 - Archive.org
Broughton is a parish, comprising the townships of Broughton and Yorton, seven miles from Shrewsbury, three and a half south from Wem, and 170 from London, in the Northern division of the county, Albrighton division, Wem union, and diocese of Lichfield; it is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Wem and Chester. The church is a neat building of stone, partly gothic, built in 1858. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £65, in the gift of Viscount Hill. Vicarial tithes commuted at £105; Henry Lister, Esq., is impropriator of the great tithes. This place was occupied and fortified by the Romans. Viscount Hill, who is lord of the manor, and Robert Gardner, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, stone and rock. The population in 1861 was 223; the area is about 880 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,931: rateable value, £1,787.
Yorton is a township, and station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North Western Railway. Yorton villa is the residence of William Nevitt, Esq., and Broughton House is the residence of Mr. John Heatley.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Railway Station, Yorton, John Ashton. Stationmaster.
Bright Edward, farmer
Heatley John, farmer, Broughton house
Horley John, wheelwright
Lea William, farmer, Yorton
Mollineaux Joseph, blacksmith, and parish clerk
Nevitt William, farmer, Yorton villa
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871