Bitterley. A parish in the hundreds of Overs and Munslow, a rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 191 houses, 1064 inhabitants. 4 miles north-east of Ludlow. Bitterley Court, situated on a rising ground at the foot of Clee Hill, is the seat of the Rev. J. Walcot. The Titterstone rises on the north-east, and the prospect towards Ludlow is delightfully extended over a fruitful and cultivated tract of country.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824