Benthall, Shropshire Family History Guide

Benthall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1735 from a chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.

Parish church: St. Bartholomew

Parish registers begin: 1640

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Benthall

  • Jackfield
  • Much Wenlock
  • Willey
  • Broseley
  • Coalbrookdale
  • Posenhall
  • Buildwas
  • Ironbridge
  • Barrow

Historical Descriptions

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Benthall, 2½ m. W. Broseley. P. 587

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Benthall. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock. A curacy not in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 119 houses, 554 inhabitants. 3 miles north-west of Wenlock.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Universal British Directory 1791

Benthall, the next adjoining parish west (to Madeley), had two large earthenware manufactories, one of which is carried on by Mr. John Bell, and the other by John Thursfield, a Quaker.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Hearth Tax

Benthall The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672

Directories

Benthall – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Madeley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Madeley
  • Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
  • Province: Canterbury