Bedstone, Shropshire Family History Guide¶
Bedstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1719
Parishes adjacent to Bedstone¶
- Bucknell and Buckton
- Hopton Castle
- Bucknell and Buckton
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851¶
Bedstone, a parish in the hund. of Purslow, county of Salop; 6 miles north-east of Knighton. Living, a discharged rectory, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford, valued at £4 13s. 4d.; gross income £234. Patron, in 1835, B. Brown, Esq. There is a daily school in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 157; in 1831, 159. Houses 21. Acres 1,200. A. P. £1,718. Poor rates, in 1837, £65.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850¶
Bedstone, 8 miles S.E. Bishop's-Castle. P. 139
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824¶
Bedstone. A parish in the hundred of Purslow, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 25 houses, 165 inhabitants. 10 ½ miles west of Ludlow.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Bedstone Parish Registers 1719-1812¶
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. V (1909)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
Bedstone Shropshire Poll Book 1865¶
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Clun Polling District
Bedstone, Parish of
1766 Beaumont John
1767 Bennett Edward
1768 Bennett John
1769 Brackwell Samuel
1770 Brown James Richard, see 2168
1771 Cocks William
Bedstone Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871¶
Bedstone is a small parish, 2 miles north from the Bucknell railway station, 6 from Knighton, 11 west from Ludlow, and 28 from Shrewsbury, in Purslow hundred, Knighton union, Southern division of the county, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, and was repaired about 1834. The living is a rectory, yearly value £220, with residence and 35 acres of glebe land, in the gift of E. Rogers, Esq., lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is loam; the subsoil is gravel. The population in 1861 was 164; the area 776 acres; gross estimated rental £1,183; rateable value £1,038.
Letters through Aston-on-Clun.
Bennett John, landowner & farmer, Bedstone house
Howells William, farmer, Hall farm
Morris William, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Knighton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Clun
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Purslow
- Province: Canterbury