Battlefield, Shropshire Family History

Battlefield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Huffley.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1665

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Battlefield

  • Albrighton
  • Shrewsbury St Mary
  • Astley
  • Hadnall

Historical Descriptions

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Battlesfield, 3 m. N.N.E. Shrewsbury. P. 64

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Battlefield. A parish in the liberties of Shrewsbury, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 13 houses, 64 inhabitants. 3 miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury. Fair, August 2, for horned cattle and sheep. See appendix.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

The History and Topography of Shropshire 1820

Haughmond Abbey. Remains of the Augustinian Priory, near Shrewsbury. Attribution: John Phillips

Q. What is Battlefield?

A. Battlefield, about four miles north of Shrewsbury, is the scene of the great battle between Henry IV. and Henry Percy, son to the Earl of Northumberland. Victory declaring for the King, in consequence of the death of Percy, he erected a church on the spot in testimony of his gratitude, but it is now in a ruinous condition. Under a tumulus near the churchyard, the slain in that memorable engagement lie buried.

Q. Describe Haughmond Abbey.

A. Haughmond Abbey is a picturesque ruin, a little to the east of Battlefield. It was formerly a religious house for regular canons of St. Augustine, founded in the year 1100, by William Fitz-Alan. Situated on a rising ground, and backed by an extensive forest, these ruins form an interesting object. The south door of the nave of the abbey church, the chapter house, the refectory, and a spacious hall, are the only parts of the edifice that are not wholly decayed.

Source: The History and Topography of Shropshire; William Pinnock Jolibois; 1820.

Battlefield Parish Registers

The registers of Battlefield, Shropshire

The registers of Battlefield, Shropshire. 1665-1812

Published 1899 by Priv print. for the Shropshire Parish Register Society in London .

The Registers of Battlefield, Shropshire. 1665-1812 - Archive.org

Transcriptions

Battlefield Parish Registers 1805 to 1812
Battlefield Parish Registers 1800 to 1804
Battlefield Parish Registers 1795 to 1799
Battlefield Parish Registers 1790 to 1794
Battlefield Parish Registers 1780 to 1789
Battlefield Parish Registers 1770 to 1779
Battlefield Marriages 1754 to 1774

Directories

Battlefield – Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Albrighton Division
  • Province: Canterbury