Badger is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Bagsore or Badgesore
Parish registers begin: 1713
Badger, or Bagsore, a parish in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the eastern verge of the county, 4 ¼ miles SW of Albrighton r. station, and 6 S by E of Shiffnall. Post-town, Beckbury under Shiffnall. Acres, 920. Real property, £1,804. Pop., 178. Houses, 37. The property is divided between two. Badger Hall is the seat of R. H. Cheney, Esq. and Badger Dingle, in the grounds connected with it, is a picturesque dell of red rock, wood, and water, liberally open to the public, and much visited. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £230. Patron, R. H. Cheney, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Badger, a parish in the franchise of Wenlock, union of Shiffnall, county of Salop; 6 miles north-east from Bridgenorth. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4 13s. 4d.; gross income £280. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs H. Browne, who supports a daily school here.. Pop., in 1801, 88; in 1831, 142. Houses 27. Acres 980. A. P. £1,667. Poor rates, in 1837, £25.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Badger, 6 miles N.E. Bridgenorth. P. 137.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Badger, or Bagsore, or Badgesore. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 29 houses, 138 inhabitants. 5 miles south-east by south of Shiffnall. Badger Hall is the Seat of Mrs. Hawkins Browne.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. XVI (1915)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. G. D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.Badger Parish Registers 1660-1812 - Archive.org
Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)
Franchise of Wenlocke
Mr. Thomas Kynersly ; 9; 0; 18
Richard Taylor ; 1; 0; 2
Michaell Browne ; 1; 0; 2
John Franck ; 1; 0; 2
Elizabeth Styring ; 1; 0; 2
Thomas Styring ; 1; 0; 2
John Brockhurst ; 1; 0; 2
Total – Fireharths – 15; ll. (Pounds) – 1; s. (Shillings) – 10
Badger is a parish and village, in the parliamentary borough of Wenlock, 5 miles from Albrighton, and 7 from Bridgnorth, in the southern division of the county, Shifnal union, Brimstree hundred, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Giles, a Gothic stone building, rebuilt in 1834, contains an organ, and three monuments. The living is a rectory, yearly value £250, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Robert Henry Cheney, Esq. There is a private school for 50 poor children, supported by Edward Cheney, Esq. Badger Hall, the seat of Edward Cheney, Esq., is a noble brick mansion of modern style; in the grounds adjoining the house is a very beautiful wooded dell, called “Badger Dingle,” through which a small stream flows, and which is much celebrated in the county, and resorted to by many visitors in the summer season. Edward Cheney, Esq., is lord of the manor and owns the whole parish, except 200 acres, posses by Mrs. A. Trevor.
At the time of Domesday Survey, this manor was held by Osbern Fitz-Richard, Baron of Burford and Richard’s Castle, whose heirs continued for centuries afterwards lords of the manor. The charities amount to 26s. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is red sandstone. The area is 920 acres, and the population in 1861 was 178; gross estimated rental, £1,592; rateable value, £1,421.
Letters are received through Shifnal.
Boddington Rev. T. F., M.A., Rectory
Cheney Edward, esq. Badger Hall
Green Mrs., Badger heath
Bate Richard, farmer
Bowen Edward Henry, farmer and miller, Badger heath
Harrison William, bailiff to Edward Cheney, esq.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871.