Skip to content

Atcham, Shropshire Family History

Atcham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Betton or Abbots Betton, Berwick, Chilton, Uckington, Emstrey, and Cronkhill.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1621

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Atcham

  • Berrington
  • Sutton
  • Upton Magna
  • Wroxeter
  • Shrewsbury St Chad
  • Shrewsbury Holy Cross with St Giles

Historical Descriptions

Atcham

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Atcham, or Attingham, a parish in the Wellington division of the hund. of South Bradford, union of Atcham, Salop; 4 miles south-east from Shrewsbury; on a bend of the Severn, and on the post-road from Shrewsbury to Shiffnall. The living is a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £11 6s. 8d.; gross income £267. Patron, in 1835, R. Burton, Esq. Charities to the peer of this parish produce £85 per annum. In 1833 there was a daily school here, with 80 scholars. The Atcham poor-law union comprehends 43 parishes, containing a population, returned, in 1831 , at 17,819; The average annual expenditure on the poor of the district, during the three years preceding the formation of the union, was £9,768. Expenditure, in 1838, £4,943. Pop., in 1801, 430; in 1831, 463. Houses 87. Acres 3,490. A. P. £4,144. Poor rates, in 1837, £440 Attingham-hall, the seat of Lord Berwick, contains a fine gallery of paintings, chiefly by the early Italian masters, also a fine collection of Etruscan vases and other antiquities from Herculaneum.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Atcham, 7 m. W.S.W. Wellington. P. 513

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Atcham. A parish in the Wellington division of Bradford, South. A vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 86 houses, 489 inhabitants. 3 ½ miles southeast of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Betton or Abbots Betton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Betton; or Abbots Betton. A township in the parish of Atcham, and in the hundred of Condover. 3 south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Chilton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chilton, a hamlet in Atcham parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles SE of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Chilton or Chelton. A township in the parish of Atcham, and in the hundred of Condover. 3 ½ miles south-east of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cronkhill

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cronkhill. A township in the parish of Atcham, and in the hundred of Condover. 4 miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Emstrey

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eamstry. A township in the parish of Atcham, and in the hundred of Condover. 2 miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Atcham Parish Registers

Atcham Parish Registers 1619-1812, Marriages to 1837

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIV (1921)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Atcham Parish Registers 1619-1812, Marriages to 1837

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shrewsbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury