Astley is a chapelry of Shrewsbury St Mary Ancient Parish in Shropshire.
Parish registers begin: 1695
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Astley, a chapelry in the parish of St Mary, liberties of Shrewsbury, Salop; 5 miles north-north east from Shrewsbury. Living, a perpetual curacy, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of St. Mary’s, Shrewsbury; rated at £5; gross income £56. Patrons, in 1835, the Mayor and Corporation of Shrewsbury. Pop., in 1801, 141; in 1831, 239. Houses 53. Acres 1,450. A. P. £2,528. Poor rates, in 1837, £44.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Astley, in St. Mary’s, adjoining Shrewsbury. P. 264
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Astley. A chapelry to St. Mary, Shrewsbury, in the liberties of Shrewsbury. 3 ½ miles north-east by north of Shrewsbury
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Astley is a chapelry, in that part of the parish of St. Mary which is within the limits of Shrewsbury, one mile and a half from Hadnall station, on the Shrewsbury and Crewe branch of the London and North-Western Railway, five miles north-north-east from Shrewsbury, and 169 from London, in the northern division of the county, Albrighton division, Atcham union, and diocese of Litchfield. The church of St. Mary is a neat structure of stone. The living is a vicarage, annual value £96, in the gift of the trustees of Shrewsbury school. According to the Pimhill tenure-roll, of 1279, Astley was held “by the men of Astley, in free socage, under the canons of St. Mary, which canons held in frank-almoign of the crown.” Here is a school endowed with about £16 per annum, paid by the trustees of Corngreave’s charity. Thomas William Trouncer, Esq., is lord of the manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The area is 1,156 acres, and the population in 1861 was 240; gross estimated rental, £2,017; rateable value, £1,888.
Sexton, William Arkinstoll.
Letters arrive through Shrewsbury.
Legh Rev. John Robert, M.A. Vicarage
Legh John, esq.
Owen Major, Astley house
Adams William, farmer
Barker James, farmer
Dodd William, beer retailer
France Edwin, tailor and draper
Hughes Charles, boot maker
Jarrett Francis, farmer
Menlove John, farmer
Minton Richard, farmer
Morgan John, farmer
Morgan William, beer retailer
Parr Richard, farmer
Stanley Thomas, brick and tile manufacturer, Astley brick yard
Tomkiss Edward, farmer
Williams Richard, beer retailer
Williams Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. V (1905)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society