Skip to content

Ashford Carbonell Shropshire Family History Guide

Photo of Ashford Carbonel The main drag down the village. Car emerging from Donkey Lane. by Richard Webb, some rights reserved.

Ashford Carbonell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1748 from a chapelry in Little Hereford, Herefordshire Ancient Parish.

Parish church: St Mary Magdalene

Parish registers begin: 1653

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Ashford Carbonell

  • Ashford Bowdler
  • Richard's Castle
  • Caynham
  • Little Hereford
  • Ludford

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ashford-Carbonell, a parish partly in the hund. of Munslow, and partly in that of Stottesden, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 3 miles south-south-east from Ludlow. The Teme separates this parish from Ashford Bowdler. Living, a curacy subordinate to the rectory of Little Hereford, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the chancellor of the cathedral of Hereford; rated at £10, and en dowed with £800 royal bounty. Patron, the rector of Little Hereford. Pop., in 1801, 227; in 1831, 289. Houses 52. Acres 1,480. A P. £722. Poor rates, in 1837, £193.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashford-Carbonell, 2½ m. S.S.E. Ludlow. P. 266

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ashford Carbonel. A parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, partly in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, chapel to Hereford Parva, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Leominster, a peculiar. 56 houses, 316 inhabitants. 3 miles south-east by south of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Ashford Carbonell Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Ludlow Polling District

Ashford Carbonel, Parish of

2233 Bale William Anthony

2234 Brown John

2235 Bowles John

2236 Carter John

2237 Collier James, see 2529

2238 Davies James

2239 Froggatt Thomas

2240 Haywood Thomas

2241 Johnson Herbert, see 2566

2242 Medlicott Thomas

2243 Roberts William

2244 Ricketts George

2245 Salway Alfred

2246 Small Edward

2247 Thompson William Smith

2248 Turner Richard

2249 Walker Charles Frederick

Ashford Carbonall The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672

Format = Name; Fireharths; ll. (Pounds); s. (shillings)

Stottesdon Hundred

William Dobles ; 2; 0; 4

Humphrey Lewis ; 1; 0; 2

Henry Dobles ; 1; 0; 2

Thomas James ; 1; 0; 2

Widdowe Lea ; 1; 0; 2

William Hill ; 1; 0; 2

George Brooke ; 1; 0; 2

Edmond Eaton ; 1; 0; 2

John Truden ; 1; 0; 2

William Truden ; 2; 0; 4

Edmond Cheese ; 4; 0; 8

Edmond Lea ; 3; 0; 6

Widdow Newton ; 4; 0; 8

John Morgan ; 1; 0; 2

William Hawton ; 1; 0; 2

Eliz. Lewis Wid. ; 2; 0; 4

William Aldwell ; 2; 0; 4

Richard Bould ; 1; 0; 2

Totals – Fireharths – 30; ll. (Pounds) – 3; s. (Shillings) – 0

Directories

Ashford Carbonell Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Ashford Carbonell is a parish and village, three miles south-east from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Mary is a small stone structure, with a tower containing three bells.  The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Little Hereford, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester, joint annual value £230 (up to the close of 1868, since which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have made a grant of £120 a year for a resident curate.)  The Rev. William Yates Foot, B.A., is the resident curate.  The manorial rights are divided between Miss Hall and F. W. Pritchard, Esq.  Miss Hall, John Carter, and F. W. Pritchard, Esqrs., are the principal landowners.  Hugh Carbonel figures in the Nomina Villarum of March, 1316, as lord of the vill of Ashford.  The soil is gravelly.  The population in 1861 was 282, and the area is 1,478 acres; gross estimated rental, £3,045; rateable value, £2,583.

Letters through Ludlow, arrive at 7 45 a.m.; dispatched at 4 30 p.m.

Bale Capt. William, Ashford villa

Foot Rev. William Yates, B.A., Burnt house

Hall Miss, Ashford house

Mackay Mr. John

Pennant Hon. George Sholto Douglas, Ashford court

Salwey Alfred, esq., Temeside

Bathurst John, farmer

Blayney Arthur, farmer

Broome George, joiner and wheelwright

Brown John, farmer

Carter John, farmer, Brookhouse

Collier James, plumber

Davis James, carpenter

Froggatt Thomas, farmer, New house

Haywood Thomas, farmer, Huntingdon

Higginson Susan, farmer

Hughes John, farmer

Jones George, blacksmith

Jones Richard, wheelwright

Lowe Jane, farmer

Mackay Miss, boarding school

Medlicott Thomas, farmer

Preece Richard, shoe maker

Roberts William, farmer, Huntingdon

Small Edward, farmer, Serpent farm

Wadams Samuel, Bridge inn, and miller

Watkins James, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Chancellor of the Choir of the Cathedral in Little Hereford and Ashford Carbonell
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury