Skip to content

Ashford Bowdler Shropshire Family History Guide

Photo of St Andrew's Church In Ashford Bowder. by PAUL FARMER, some rights reserved.

Ashford Bowdler is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1735 from chapelry in Bromfield Ancient Parish.

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1630

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Ashford Bowdler

  • Richard's Castle
  • Ashford Carbonell

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ashford-Bowdler, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Ludlow, county of Salop; 3 miles south from Ludlow; on the post-road to Tenbury. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £9; in the parliamentary returns at £40; gross income £55. Pop., in 1801, 79; in 1831, 99. Houses 17. Acres 630. A. P. £1,212. Poor rates, in 1837, £58.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashford-Bowdler, 3 m. S. Ludlow. P. 96

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ashford Bowdler A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop, partly in the county of Hereford. 16 houses, 89 inhabitants. 3 miles south-west by south of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Ashford Bowdler Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Ludlow Polling District

Ashford Bowdler, Parish of

2225 Froggatt Isaac

2226 Harper Thomas

2227 Leake Robert

2228 Monnington William, dead

2229 Pinhorn George

2230 Pritchard Francis Wood

2231 Powis Thomas Gitton

2232 Ridgley Herbert, see 2448

Directories

Ashford Bowdler Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Ashford Bowdler is a parish, two miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is pleasantly situated on the river Teme, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway. The church of St. Andrew was thoroughly repaired and repewed about 1850, at the sole expense of the late C. Walker, Esq., then patron of the living, and was again restored a few years since, and a handsome east window of stained glass, presented by F. W. Pritchard, Esq.; it contains several monuments. The living is a vicarage, annual value of £73, in the gift of F. W. Pritchard, Esq. The soil is strong loam, clay and gravel, and the pasturage very good. The principal landowners are F. W. Pritchard, Esq., and Sir Edward Russell. The charities amount to 30s. The population in 1861 was 106; and the area is 585 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,900 ; rateable value, £1,500. Letters are received through Ludlow.

Bowen Mr. James Thomas, Yew Tree cottage

Marriott John, esq., Ashford hall

Pritchard Francis Wood, Esq., Ashford grove

Thomas Mrs., Church house

Broome Robert, farmer

Dyke Mary, farmer

Froggatt Isaac, farmer, Feather Knole

Harper Thomas, farmer

Powis Thomas Gitton, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Ashford Bowdler - Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Ashford Bowdler is a parish, two miles from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Lower division of Munslow hundred, Ludlow union, and diocese of Hereford; it is pleasantly situated on the river Teme, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway.  The church of St. Andrew was thoroughly repaired and repewed about 1850, at the sole expense of the late C. Walker, Esq., then patron of the living, and was again restored a few years since, and a handsome east window of stained glass, presented by F. W. Pritchard, Esq.; it contains several monuments.  The living is a vicarage, annual value of £73, in the gift of F. W. Pritchard, Esq.  The soil is strong loam, clay and gravel, and the pasturage very good.  The principal landowners are F. W. Pritchard, Esq., and Sir Edward Russell.  The charities amount to 30s.  The population in 1861 was 106; and the area is 585 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,900; rateable value, £1,500.

Letters are received through Ludlow.

Bowen Mr. James Thomas, Yew Tree cottage

Marriott John, esq., Ashford hall

Pritchard Francis Wood, Esq., Ashford grove

Thomas Mrs., Church house

Broome Robert, farmer

Dyke Mary, farmer

Froggatt Isaac, farmer, Feather Knole

Harper Thomas, farmer

Powis Thomas Gitton, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury