Ash

Ash, Shropshire Family History

Ash is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1844 from Whitchurch Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Ash Parva and Ash Magna.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1837

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ash

  • Tilstock
  • Whitchurch
  • Audlem
  • Ightfield
  • Prees

Historical Descriptions

Great Ash Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ash (Great). 2¾ m. S.E. and included in Whitchurch.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ash Magna Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ash Magna. A township in the parish of Whitchurch, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2 miles south-east of Whitchurch3).

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Little Ash Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ash (Little), adjoining Great Ash, and included in Whitchurch pa4).

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Ash Parva Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ash Parva. A township in the parish of Whitchurch, and in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North. 2½ miles south-east of Whitchurch

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Ash Magna and Ash Parva Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Ash Magna and Ash Parva - Cassey Directory of Shropshire 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Wem
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Whitchurch Incorp
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury