Skip to content

Alveley Shropshire Family History Guide

Photo of Parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Alveley, Shropshire, England, seen from the northeast by Graham Maclachlan, some rights reserved.

Alveley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Alveley parish includes the liberty of Romsley, and the townships of Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge, Cotton and Kingsnordley, Nordley Regis, King’s Nordley or Nordley.

Parish Church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists included in Alveley: Primitive Methodist

Alveley Methodist Church, Church Road, Alveley, Shropshire, seen from the west. The copyright on this image is owned by Row17 and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Parishes adjacent to Alveley

  • Highley
  • Upper Arley
  • Bobbington
  • Quatt
  • Chelmarsh
  • Claverley
  • Kinver
  • Enville

Historical Descriptions

Alveley

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Alveley, a parish and township, partly in the hund. of Stottesden, and partly in the borough of Bridgenorth, union of Bridgenorth, county of Salop; on the eastern bank of the Severn; 6 miles south east of Bridgenorth. It includes the liberty of Romsley, and the township of Nordley-Regis. Living, a perpetual curacy under the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Bridgenorth; rated at £65 per annum in the parliamentary returns; gross income £82. Patron, in 1835, John Wingfield, Esq., who appoints an official and registrar. There are three daily schools here: one a free school, endowed by John Grove in 1615; master's salary £22 12s. John Grove also bequeathed yearly stipends to five old men of the parish. The entire income of both these churches is £73. The other charities connected with the parish yield £56 yearly. Pop., in 1801, 791 ; in 1831, 949. Houses 193. Acres 7,640. A. P. £5,618. Poor rates of the township, in 1837, £485.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD'S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Alveley with Nordley-Regis, 6 m S.S.E. Bridgenorth. P. 1062

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alvely. A curacy and parish in the exempt jurisdiction of the borough of Bridgnorth, - partly in the borough of Bridgnorth, partly in the Bridgnorth division of the hundred of Stottesden. 180 houses, 975 inhabitants. 7 miles south-east by south of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alam Bridge or Allom Bridge. A township in the parish of Alvely, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth. 6 ½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Cotton

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Cotton. A township in the parish of Alveley, and a chapelry. Cotton Hall is the residence of the Rev. J. H. Petit. 5 ½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Nordley Regis

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Nordley Regis or King’s Nordley or Nordley. A township in the parish of Alveley, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth. 5 miles south-east of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Romsley

SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Romsley. A township in the parish of Alveley, and in the liberties of Bridgnorth.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Book

Poll Book 1865, Alveley Shropshire

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Alveley, Parish of

414 Bache Thomas

415 Bache William

416 Bennion James

417 Bowen Thomas

418 Bowen William

419 Bradley Henry 

420 Broad Joseph

421 Brooke George

422 Cole Thomas, dead

423 Colebatch William

424 Considine Robert Augustus Wellesley

425 Corser John

426 Cresswell Stephen

427 Cross William

428 Crowther William

429 Doolittle John

430 Foxall James

431 Fereday Thomas, see 485

432 Gretton George

433 Griffiths Richard

434 Hayward John

435 Hobbs William

436 Holloway William

437 Hughes Edward

438 Jennings William

439 Jennings William

440 Jones David

441 Jones William

442 Lane Thomas

443 Morris William, see 461

444 Milward Edward

445 Poole John, see 924, 853

446 Richards Thomas

447 Steward John

448 Steward William

449 Southall Josiah

450 Veal Richard

451 Wakeman Offley Francis Drake

452 Warder John

453 Wire William

454 Wood James

455 Wood Jeffery

456 Yates William

Romsley, Poll Book 1865

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq. For more information see Poll Book 1865.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Romsley, Liberty of

726 Foxhall Cresswell Thomas

727 Hazlewood John Price, see 746, 823

728 Wiseman John

Directories

Alveley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Alveley is a parish and large village, 7 miles north-west from Kidderminster, 9 north-north-west from Bewdley, and 8 north-east from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on the eastern banks of the river Severn.  The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone building.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £103, in the gift of Mrs. Wakeman.  There is a school for boys and girls.  Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.  The charities are of about £100 yearly value.  Benjamin Gibbon, Esq., is lord of the manor.  Alveley is reputed to be a manor of ancient demesne.  Alveley came intact into the hands of Henry II., by precisely the same process as Claverley and Worfield, when Henry Plantagenet, soon after his accession, granted it to Guy le Strange.

The Fitz-Warine Chronicle relates how William Peverel had two beautiful nieces, of whom the one, named Melette, had resolved never to marry, excepting to a knight of great prowess.  To give the lady a choice, her uncle caused to be proclaimed through many lands a tournament, to be held at his castle in the Peak; at which, whoever should display the greatest dexterity, was to have his niece, with the castle of Whittington.  Among the crowd of nobles and distinguished knights who hastened to that brilliant passage of arms, were ten sons of the Duke of Britany, the younger of whom, being named Guy, was called Guy l’Estrange, and from him the several families of the Stranges descended.

Does the reader curiously enquire, was it he who won the lady? Guy did not win her.  To that gay gathering, “Where throngs of knights and barons bold, In weed of peace, high triumphs hold,” speeded also Guarin de Metz, with a silver shield and peacock for crest.  This knight tilted first against a son of the king of Scots, and then with a baron from Burgundy; and as he vanquished them both, he claimed and obtained as his prize, the willing and beautiful Melette.  Seated, therefore at Whittington, between Guarin and the Prince of Wales fierce animosities reigned.  The principal landowners are Mrs. Wakeman, Benjamin gibbons, Esq., W. O. Foster, Esq., and Thomas Bache.  The charities amount to £183.  The population of the township in 1861 was 882.  The gross estimated rental, exclusive of Romsley, £6,500; rateable value, £6,120. – Nordley Regis is a township pleasantly situated two miles north-east from the church.  Mrs. Wakeman is lady of the manor.

Romsley is a liberty, one mile and a half east, with a population in 1861 of 136.  Gross estimated rental £1,740; rateable value, £1,659.  The principal landowners are Benjamin Gibbons, Esq., Stephen Creswell, Esq., and J. P. Halewood, Esq.

Post Office. – William Griffiths, receiver.  Letters through Bridgnorth; arrive at 9 30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.

Alveley

Bache Thomas, esq., Green house

Considine Rev. Robert Augustus Wellesley, M.A.

Fereday Thomas, esq., J.P., Tuck hill

Wakeman Mrs., Coton hall

Andrews William, farmer, Bolt hole

Bowen Felicia, farmer, King’s Nordley

Bowen Thomas, farmer, Broad lane

Cattell William, farmer, Pool hall

Clark George, grocer

Clark John, Squirrell, and butcher

Clark Stephen, farmer, Turley green

Clarke John, farmer, Hadley’s barn

Cross William, farmer, Astley

Crow Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Turley green

Dixon William, farmer, Lake house

Dovey Thomas, boot and shoe maker, Six Ashes

Downton Samuel, tailor

Fellows Michael, farmer, Hall close

Fereday Thomas, farmer and landowner, Tuck hill

Foxall James, farmer

Gorton Mary, shopkeeper

Gretton William, farmer, High barns

Gretton William, jun., farmer, Little Coton

Griffiths Richard, farmer, Filley loads

Griffiths William, tailor

Hardman Catherine, farmer, Little London

Harley John, wheelwright & beer retailer

Harris John, farmer, Lowe farm

Hayward John, farmer, The Butts

Hayward Thomas, farmer, Hill house

Head John, beer retailer, Kitlands

Higgs John, butcher

Hinton Wm. Smith, miller, Allum bridge

Hobbis Mary, Three Horseshoes

Holloway William, beer retailer and cooper, Hampton load

Hughes Edward, farmer, Upper Hollies

Humphries Joseph, farmer, Perry house

Jennings William, beer retailer

Jones William, farmer, Hill house

Lane Thomas, quarry master

Lloyd Edward, shoe maker

Massey Margery, farmer, Turley green

Minifie Richard, farmer, Coton farm

Morris William, farmer, Church farm

Palmer Edmund, farmer, Barrets

Pierce Mary, farmer, Fen green

Potter Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Richards Thomas, farmer, Dodd’s green

Stockall Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Cook’s green

Tantrem Joseph, farmer

Thomas John, farmer, Broadlanes

Veal Richard, farmer, High house

Warder John, farmer, The Hay

Webb Benjamin, farmer, Allum bridge

Webb Benjamin, jun., farmer, Dumballs

Wier William, farmer, Cook’s cross

Wootton John, farmer, Broadlanes

Yardley Thomas, Blue Bell, and blacksmith

Yates William, farmer

Romsley

Cox Mrs.

Creswell Stephens, farmer and landowner, Lower house

Doolittle John, shoe maker, The Finger

Edmonds John, farmer, The Bow hills

Foxall Sarah, blacksmith

Foxall Thomas Creswell, farmer

Gritton Joseph, farmer, Hart’s green

Lane George, wheelwright

Reynolds Matthew, farmer

Williams Joseph, farmer, New house

Winnall John, farmer, Upper Harley

Wiseman Ann, farmer, Hart’s green

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Alveley Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Alveley is a parish and large village, 7 miles north-west from Kidderminster, 9 north-north-west from Bewdley, and 8 north-east from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford, pleasantly situated on the eastern banks of the river Severn.  The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone building.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £103, in the gift of Mrs. Wakeman.  There is a school for boys and girls.  Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.  The charities are of about £100 yearly value.  Benjamin Gibbon, Esq., is lord of the manor.  Alveley is reputed to be a manor of ancient demesne.  Alveley came intact into the hands of Henry II, by precisely the same process as Claverley and Worfield, when Henry Plantagenet, soon after his accession, granted it to Guy le Strange.

The Fitz-Warine Chronicle relates how William Peverel had two beautiful nieces, of whom the one, named Melette, had resolved never to marry, excepting to a knight of great prowess. To give the lady a choice, her uncle caused to be proclaimed through many lands a tournament, to be held at his castle in the Peak; at which, whoever should display the greatest dexterity, was to have his niece, with the castle of Whittington. Among the crowd of nobles and distinguished knights who hastened to that brilliant passage of arms, were ten sons of the Duke of Britany, the younger of whom, being named Guy, was called Guy l’Estrange, and from him the several families of the Stranges descended.

Does the reader curiously enquire, was it he who won the lady? Guy did not win her. To that gay gathering, “Where throngs of knights and barons bold, In weed of peace, high triumphs hold,” speeded also Guarin de Metz, with a silver shield and peacock for crest. This knight tilted first against a son of the king of Scots, and then with a baron from Burgundy; and as he vanquished them both, he claimed and obtained as his prize, the willing and beautiful Melette. Seated, therefore at Whittington, between Guarin and the Prince of Wales fierce animosities reigned. The principal landowners are Mrs. Wakeman, Benjamin gibbons, Esq., W. O. Foster, Esq., and Thomas Bache. The charities amount to £183. The population of the township in 1861 was 882. The gross estimated rental, exclusive of Romsley, £6,500; rateable value, £6,120. – Nordley Regis is a township pleasantly situated two miles north-east from the church. Mrs. Wakeman is lady of the manor.

Romsley is a liberty, one mile and a half east, with a population in 1861 of 136. Gross estimated rental £1,740; rateable value, £1,659. The principal landowners are Benjamin Gibbons, Esq., Stephen Creswell, Esq., and J. P. Halewood, Esq.

Post Office. – William Griffiths, receiver. Letters through Bridgnorth; arrive at 9 30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.

ALVELEY

Bache Thomas, esq., Green house

Considine Rev. Robert Augustus Wellesley, M.A.

Fereday Thomas, esq., J.P., Tuck hill

Wakeman Mrs., Coton hall

Andrews William, farmer, Bolt hole

Bowen Felicia, farmer, King’s Nordley

Bowen Thomas, farmer, Broad lane

Cattell William, farmer, Pool hall

Clark George, grocer

Clark John, Squirrell, and butcher

Clark Stephen, farmer, Turley green

Clarke John, farmer, Hadley’s barn

Cross William, farmer, Astley

Crow Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Turley green

Dixon William, farmer, Lake house

Dovey Thomas, boot and shoe maker, Six Ashes

Downton Samuel, tailor

Fellows Michael, farmer, Hall close

Fereday Thomas, farmer and landowner, Tuck hill

Foxall James, farmer

Gorton Mary, shopkeeper

Gretton William, farmer, High barns

Gretton William, jun., farmer, Little Coton

Griffiths Richard, farmer, Filley loads

Griffiths William, tailor

Hardman Catherine, farmer, Little London

Harley John, wheelwright & beer retailer

Harris John, farmer, Lowe farm

Hayward John, farmer, The Butts

Hayward Thomas, farmer, Hill house

Head John, beer retailer, Kitlands

Higgs John, butcher

Hinton Wm. Smith, miller, Allum bridge

Hobbis Mary, Three Horseshoes

Holloway William, beer retailer and cooper, Hampton load

Hughes Edward, farmer, Upper Hollies

Humphries Joseph, farmer, Perry house

Jennings William, beer retailer

Jones William, farmer, Hill house

Lane Thomas, quarry master

Lloyd Edward, shoe maker

Massey Margery, farmer, Turley green

Minifie Richard, farmer, Coton farm

Morris William, farmer, Church farm

Palmer Edmund, farmer, Barrets

Pierce Mary, farmer, Fen green

Potter Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Richards Thomas, farmer, Dodd’s green

Stockall Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Cook’s green

Tantrem Joseph, farmer

Thomas John, farmer, Broadlanes

Veal Richard, farmer, High house

Warder John, farmer, The Hay

Webb Benjamin, farmer, Allum bridge

Webb Benjamin, jun., farmer, Dumballs

Wier William, farmer, Cook’s cross

Wootton John, farmer, Broadlanes

Yardley Thomas, Blue Bell, and blacksmith

Yates William, farmer

ROMSLEY

Cox Mrs.

Creswell Stephens, farmer and landowner, Lower house

Doolittle John, shoe maker, The Finger

Edmonds John, farmer, The Bow hills

Foxall Sarah, blacksmith

Foxall Thomas Creswell, farmer

Gritton Joseph, farmer, Hart’s green

Lane George, wheelwright

Reynolds Matthew, farmer

Williams Joseph, farmer, New house

Winnall John, farmer, Upper Harley

Wiseman Ann, farmer, Hart’s green

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Alveley Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Alveley is a parish and large village, 12 miles north west from Kidderminster, 7 south-south-east from Bridgnorth, 9 north-north-west from Bewdley, and 8 north-east from Cleobury Mortimer, in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred and rural deanery of Stottesden, Bridgnorth union and county court district, South Shropshire, archdeaconry of Salop, Hereford diocese. It is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the river Severn. The population in 1861 was 1,018. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £163 yearly, in the gift of Mrs. Wakeman; the Rev. R. A. W. Considine, M.A. , St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. The church is named St. Mary. The register dates from the year 1561. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a National school for boys and girls. There are charities of about £100 yearly value.

Romsley is a liberty 1 mile and a half east, with a population in 1861 of 136.

Parish Clerk, Samuel Downton.

Alveley.

Bache Thomas, esq. Green house

Considine Rev . Robert Augustus Wellesley, M.A

Wakeman Mrs. Coton hall

Commercial.

Ameys Thomas, farmer, Dumbals

Bache William, farmer, Lackhouse

Bates & Pierce, farmers, Fen green

Bowen William, farmer, King's Nordley

Clarke Edward, farmer, Hadley's barn

Clarke John, butcher

Clarke Stephen, farmer, Turley green

Cross William, farmer, Astlev

Crow Jane (Mrs), shopkeepr. Turley grn

Dovey Thos. boot & shoe mak. Six Ashes

Downton Samuel, tailor

Edmonds Joseph, farmer, Pool hall

Fellows Michael, farmer

Foxall James, blacksmith

Giles John, Bell

Gorton Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Gretton William, farmer, High barns

Griffiths Richard, farmer, Filley loads

Griffiths William, tailor & shopkeeper

Gritton Geo. & Wm. farmers. Lit. Coton

Hardman Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Little London

Hayward John, farmer, The Butts

Head John, beer retailer, Kitlands

Higgs John, butcher

Hobbis Maty (Mrs.), Three. Horseshoes

Hobbs William, Squirrel, & farmer

Holloway William, beer retailer & cooper, Hampton load

Hughes Edward, farmer, Upper Hollies

Humphries Joseph, farmer, Perry house

Jennings William, beer retailer

Jones David, quarry master

Jones William, farmer, Hill house

Lane Thomas, quarry master

Massey William, farmer, Turley green

Millward John, beer retailer & farmer

Morris William, farmer

Palmer Edwin, farmer, Barrets

Richards Thomas, farmer, Dodd's green

Rowley Richard, boot & shoe maker

Stockall Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Cook's grn

Tantrem Joseph, farmer, Tuck's hill

Thomas John, farmer, Broadlanes

Veal Richard, farmer, High house

Walker Charles, butcher

Warder John, farmer, Hay

Weaver James, farmer, Coton

Webb Benjamin, carpenter & farmer

Williams Joseph, farmer

Wood James & Jeffrey, quarry masters

Wootton John, beer retailer, Broadlanes

Wyer William, farmer, Cook's cross

Yardlev Thomas, blacksmith

Yates William, wheelwright

Romsley.

Cox Thomas, miller & farmer

Creswell Stephen, farmer, The Hall

Crow Edwnrd, farmer

Doolittle John, shoemaker, The Finger

Edmonds John, farmer, The Bowels

Foxall Sarah (Mrs.), blacksmith

Foxall Thomas, farmer

Gritton Joseph, farmer, Hart's green

Haynes Benjamin, farmer

Lane George, wheelwright

Reynolds Matthew, farmer

Winnell John, fanner, High Trees

Post Office. — William Griffiths, receiver. Letters through Bridgnorth; arrive at 8.55 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bridgnorth.

National School, Thomas Pickering, master; Mrs. Ann Pickering, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of Bridgnorth
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Bridgnorth
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury