Skip to content

Albrighton (Shifnal), Shropshire Family History Guide

Alternative names: Albrighton near Wolverhampton

Albrighton (near Shifnal) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Parish church: St. Mary Magdelene

Parish registers begin: 1555

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Albrighton

  • Codsall
  • Donington
  • Shifnal
  • Patshull
  • Tettenhall Regis
  • Boningale
  • Brewood
  • Beckbury

Historical Descriptions

Albrighton (Shifnal) The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Albrighton, a parish, formerly a market-town, in the Shiffnall division of the hund. of Brimstree, union of Shiffnall, Shropshire; 5 miles south- east by east from Shiffnall. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean of Lichfield; rated at £5 10s.; gross income £651. Alternate patrons, the Company Of Haberdashers and the governors of Christ's hospital, London. Fairs for cattle, sheep, and swine, are held here on the first Monday in March, 23d May, and last Monday in June. Charities of about £64 yearly, are distributed to the poor of this parish. Pop., in 1801, 901; in 1831, 1,054. Houses 211. Acres 2,970. A. P. £6,357. Poor rates, in 1837, £289.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Albrighton Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Albrighton, 5 miles S.E. Shiffnall. P. 1058.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Albrighton (near Shifnal) Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Albrighton. A parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstry. 4 ½ miles south-east of Shiffnall. A vicarage in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 198 houses, 968 inhabitants. Fairs, March 5, May 23, July 18, Nov. 9, for horned cattle, sheep and hogs. A good deal of business is done at these fairs.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Albrighton Aubrey Shropshire Directory 1925

Austins; butcher

Crown Hotel

Forshaw J; draper

Gibson W J, coal, line and salt merchant and haulier. Est. over 40 years (late Joseph Jordan)

Harp Hotel, Albrighton

Lloyd J C; grocer

Lockley A A, Hayfield Garage

Lycett J; painter & plumber

Milward Bros; maltsters

Moore W, cycle motor and general engineer

New J H, Bootmaker

Nott C A & C H, 16 and 17, High St; also Motor and Cycle Agents, Beam Garage Official repairer to A.A., & M.U. Also wireless supplies Phone No 8.

Nott W, Carpenter & Builder, horticultural and Sanitary work; funerals undertaken. Phone No. 24.

Old Bush Inn

Oliver G., Station rd, Builder, contractor, carpenter, joiner, and undertaker. Estimates given.

Russell B; draper

Scriven F R; high-class family grocer and provision merchant, corn dealer, wine and spirit merchant. Phone 10.

Scriven M., Praper, Post Office

Shrewsbury Arms

Smith T. C., Saddler Station road

Wilcox J L; butcher

Source: Herefordshire, Shropshire & Monmouthshire Directory 1925. Printers & Publishers, Aubrey & Co., Leamore, Walsall.

Albrighton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

ALBRIGHTON is a village and parish, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton, 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 from Shrewsbury, and 148 ¾ by rail from London, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdelene, supposed to have been built in the thirteenth century, is a stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style, and has several monuments, one of which, standing outside the church, is of the Early English period of architecture, and belongs to the thirteenth century. The living is a rectorially endowed vicarage, yearly value £625, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital alternately. “ Ralph de Pichford in 1232 fined 40s. with the Crown, for the privilege of holding a market and fair at his manor of Albrighton, for which he obtained the king's charter, and in 1284 he gave the king the large sum of 300 merks to have marriage of the heirs, and custody of the lands in Ireland, of John Fitz-Dermot.” A school was built for boys and girls in 1856. The charities are of about £70 yearly value. At Pepperhill, on the south-west border of the county, in this parish, is an old mansion belonging to the Talbot family, and now in the possession of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot; it stands on a well wooded eminence, and is built of brick on a base of red sandstone; in the garden is a stone fountain, supposed to have been once an oratory; it is Italian in character and design, but much decayed. In the parish register is recorded the burial of the Duke of Shrewsbury, under date February 23rd, 1717, no place being mentioned, but from this entry it is inferred that he may have resided at Pepperhill. There were formerly several fairs held here, but they have been discontinued for some years. In this parish are the Wolverhampton Water Works. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loam; the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The charities amount to £82. The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,155 ; the area is 3,271 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,316; rateable value, £8,800.

POST OFFICE.—Thomas Hammersley, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6-56 a.m.; dispatched at 7-14 p.m.

Registrar of Births and Deaths, Richard Dickins.

Railway Station, Willian O'Beirne, station master.

Barker George Jones, esq. J.P, Albrighton hall

Bishton Rev. Henry

Boulton Mr. William

Briscoe John Edward, esq

Bucknall George, esq

Burd Mrs. Joy house

Corbett Mr. Richard

Dallow Thomas, esq

Davis James, esq

Dulley Joseph, esq

Fielding Charles R. esq. Rose cottage

Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A.

Jeavons Joseph, esq. Harriet's hayes

Lamb Barnabas W. esq

Law Mr. Richard

Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange

Pace William, esq. Harriet's hayes

Roberts John, eaq

Sheppard Mrs

Sutton Mr. William

Urry Richard, esq

Walton Fredok. esq. J.P. St. Cuthbert's

Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A. Rectory

Austin Frederick, butcher

Austin George, maltster

Bailey George, maltster

Bailey John, farmer, Parkside

Beck Henry, grocer

Boulton John, farmer, Bowling green

Boulton John, farmer, The Elms

Boulton William, manure agent

Bucknall William, Crown inn & farmer

Butler William, wheelwright

Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house

Clewley Edward, Shrewsbury arms

Comley George, linen draper

Cottrill Thomas, tailor

Dallow Thomas, solicitor

Duncalfe George C. coal dealer, &c

Eardley William, saddler

Ferney James, tailor

Fletcher Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Forshaw John, linen draper

Hammersley John, shopkeeper

Hammersley Susanna, milliner

Harris Henry, plumber, &c

Howell Thomas, blacksmith

Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth

Jeavons Joseph, fanner

Lamb Barnabas W. surgeon

Meredith John, plumber

Molineux George, grocer

Moore Henry, farmer, Beamish

Moore Paul, higgler

Morris David, ale & porter agent

Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker

Nickolds Edward, bricklayer

Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker

Pace William, farmer

Pearce Hannah, Old Bush inn

Perks John, butcher

Perry John, butcher

Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston cross

Russell Benjamin, tailor

Shepherd Richard, miller, Cosford

Stanley William, shoe maker

Stubbs William H. farmer, Cosford grange

Stevens Hunt, ladies' boarding school

Sutton William, wheelwyight [sic]

Taylor John, shoe maker, New house

Taylor William, shoe maker, New house

Tomkins John, grocer

Totty George, bricklayer

Ward John, blacksmith

Weatherby Andrew, contractor, &c

Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bishton hall

Wedge Daniel, boot maker

Wheeler Bessy, carrier

Wiggins Fanny, beer retailer

Windsor Elizabeth, milliner

Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager), Cosford

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Albrighton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Albrighton is a village and parish, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton, 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 from Shrewsbury, and 148 ¾ by rail from London, in the Southern division of the county, Shifnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shifnal union, and diocese of Lichfield, situated on the road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene, supposed to have been built in the thirteenth century, is a stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style, and has several monuments, one of which, standing outside the church, is of the Early English period of architecture, and belongs to the thirteenth century. The living is rectorially endowed vicarage, yearly value £625, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers’ Company and Christ’s Hospital alternately. “Ralph de Pichford in 1232 fined 40s. with the Crown, for the privilege of holding a market and fair at his manor of Albrighton, for which he obtained the king’s charter, and in 1234 he gave the king the large sum of 300 marks to have marriage of the heirs, and custody of the lands in Ireland, of John Fitz-Dermot.” A school was built for boys and girls in 1856. The charities are of about £70 yearly value. At Pepperhill, on the south-west border of the county, in this parish, is an old mansion belonging to the Talbot family, and now in the possession of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot; it stands on a well wooded eminence, and is built of brick on a base of red sandstone; in the garden is a stone fountain, supposed to have been once an oratory; it is Italian in character and design, but much decayed. In the parish register is recorded the burial of the Duke of Shrewsbury, under date February 23rd, 1717, no place being mentioned, but from this entry it is inferred that he may have resided at Pepperhill. There were formerly several fairs held here, but they have been discontinued for some years. In this parish are the Wolverhampton Water Works. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loan, the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The charities amount to £82. The population of the parish in 1861, was 1,155; the area is 3, 271 acres; gross estimated rental, £10,316; rateable value, £8,800.

Post Office. – Thomas Hammersley, postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m.

Registrar of Births and Deaths, Richard Dickins.

Railway station, William O’Beirne.

Barker George Jones, esq. J.P. Albrighton hall

Bishton Rev. Henry

Boulton Mr. William

Briscoe John Edward, esq.

Bucknall George. Esq.

Burd Mrs. Joy house

Corbett Mr. Richard

Dallow Thomas, esq

Davis James, esq.

Dulley Joseph, esq.

Fielding Charles R. esq. Rose cottage

Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A.

Jeavons Joseph, esq. Harriet’s hayes

Lamb Barnabas W. esq.

Law Mr. Richard

Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange

Pace William, esq. Harriet’s hayes

Roberts John, esq.

Sheppard Mrs

Sutton Mr. William

Urry Richard, esq.

Walton Fredck. Esq. J.P. St. Cuthbert’s

Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A. Rectory

Austin Frederick, butcher

Austin George, maltster

Bailey George, maltster

Bailey John, Parkside

Beck Henry, grocer

Boulton John, farmer, Bowling green

Boulton John, farmer, The Elms

Boulton William, manure agent

Bucknall William, Crown inn & farmer

Butler William, wheelwright

Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house

Clewley Edward, Shrewsbury arms

Comley George, linen draper

Cottrill Thomas, tailor

Dallow Thomas, solicitor

Duncalfe George C. coal dealer, &c.

Eardley William, saddler

Ferney James, tailor

Fletcher Thomas, boat & shoe maker

Forshaw John, linen draper

Hammersley John, shopkeeper

Hammersley Susanna, milliner

Harris Henry, plumber, &c.

Howell Thomas, blacksmith

Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth

Jeavons Joseph, farmer

Lamb Barnabas W. surgeon

Meredith John, plumber

Molineux George, grocer

Moore Henry, farmer, Beamish

Moore Paul, higgler

Morris David, ale & porter agent

Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker

Nickolds Edward, bricklayer

Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker

Pace William, farmer

Pearce Hannah, Old Bush inn

Perks John, butcher

Perry John, butcher

Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston Cross

Russell Benjamin, tailor

Shepherd Richard, miller, Cosford

Stanley William, shoe maker

Stubbs William H. farmer, Cosford grange

Stevens Hunt, ladies’ boarding school

Sutton William, wheelwright

Taylor John, shoemaker, New house

Taylor William, shoemaker, New house

Tomkins John, grocer

Totty George, bricklayer

Ward John, blacksmith

Weatherby Andrew, contractor, &c.

Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bishton hall

Wedge Daniel, boot maker

Wheeler Bessy, carrier

Wiggins Fanny, beer retailer

Windsor Elizabeth, milliner

Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager),Cosford

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Albrighton Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Albrighton is a village, extensive parish, and railway station, 8 miles north-west from Wolverhampton (its post town), 5 south-east from Shiffnal (its poor-law union and petty sessions town), 11 north-east from Bridgnorth, about 22 east-south-east from Shrewsbury, and 148¾ by rail from London, in the Shiffnal division of Brimstree hundred, Shrewsbury county court district, Shiffnal union and rural deanery, South Salop, Salop archdeaconry, and Lichfield bishopric. It is situated on the old turnpike road from Wolverhampton to Chester. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an old stone building, which has been restored in the Decorated style; it has a tower with 6 beautiful bells, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, a new organ, several monuments, one of which is very curious, of the Early English period of architecture and belonging to the thirteenth century; this monument stands outside the church. The register dates from 1555. The living is a rectorial endowed vicarage, value £625 yearly, with residence and about 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital alternately; the Rev. George Windus Woodhouse, M.A., St. Mary's Hall, Oxford, is the incumbent. A school was built for boys and girls In 1856. Fairs are held on the second Monday in January, first Mondav in March, 23rd of May, and third Mondav in October, for fat and store stocks, sheep, horses, &c. Albrighton Hall, the residence and property of George Jones Barker, Esq., is a neat stucco building, with ornamental pleasure grounds. The population of the parish in 1861 was 1,156, and of the chapelry 78; the area is 3,365a. 0r. 7p. The soil is a rich loam; the subsoil is partly clay and marl and red sandstone. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot (who is lord of the manor), the Earl of Dartmouth, George Jones Barker, Esq., John Jones, Esq., and George Robinson, Esq., are the chief landowners. In this parish are situated the Wolverhampton Waterworks. There are charities of about £70 yearly value.

Parish Clerk, John Totty.

Barker Geo. Jones, esq. Albrighton hall

Bidwell Henry, M.D

Bishton Rev. Henry

Boulton Mr. Thomas

Boulton Mr. William

Bourne Mrs

Briscoe John Edward, esq

Corbett Mr. Richard

Dale Miss

Hooper Mr. Thomas

Hope Richard, esq

Isaac Rev. Charles Powys, M.A

Larkin Charles Robert, esq

Law Mr. Richard

Lord Mrs

Loxdale James, esq. J.P. Sutton house

Miller Mr. Richard, Whiston grange

Mitchell Mrs

Price Mrs. Hope

Price Richard Hope, esq

Richards Mr. George

Ross Mrs

Sutton. Mr. William

Stubbs Orlando, esq. Whiston cross

Thomas Mrs

Walters Benjamin, esq.

Walton Frederick, esq. St. Cuthbert's pl

Wilkes Mr. John

Woodhouse Rev. George Windus, M.A

Yates Mr. Henry

York Samuel, esq. Brooklands

COMMERCIAL.

Alcock William, stonemason

Austin Frederick, butcher

Austin George, maltster

Bailey George & John, maltsters

Bailey John, farmer, Parkside

Beck Henry, grocer &c

Bidwell Henry, surgeon

Boulton William, manure agent

Brewster Richd. farmer, Harriet's hayes

Bucknall William, farmer, & Crown inn, commercial & posting house, & agent to Allsopp & Sons & Manders, ale, porter & stout brewers

Butler William, wheelwright

Caddick Isaac, farmer, High house

Coombs Lawrence, inland revenue offier

Cope James, mining engineer

Cottrill Thomas, tailor

Delf John, linen draper, silk mercer, milliner, haberdasher, clothier & hattr

Dickins Richard, registrar of births & deaths

Eardley William, saddler

Earp Elizabth.(Mrs.),farmr. Cosford hall

Fletcher Thomas, boot & shoe maker

Hammersley Susanna (Mrs.), milliner

Harper William, coal dealer

Harris Henry, plumber &c.

Howell Thomas, blacksmith

Husselby William, bailiff to the Earl of Dartmouth, Wildecot

Jebon Joseph, farmer, Harriet's hayes

Jones Hannah (Mrs.), toy dealer

Jones Harriotte (Miss), dressmaker

Larkin Charles Robert, surgeon

Meredith John, painter & glazier

Molineux George, grocer

Moore Paul, higgler

Moore Thomas, higgler

Morris Thomas, watch & clock maker

Nickolds Edward, shopkeeper

Nickolds Thomas, watch & clock maker

Noyes Emma & Ann (Misses), school, Davenhill house

Oatley John, farmer, Bishton hall

Patten Margaret (Mrs.), school

Perks Mary (Mrs.), butcher

Perry John, butcher

Pershouse Ezekiel, farmer, Beamish

Pugh John, Whiston Cross, Whiston cross

Ralph John, potato dealer, Poplars

Ridley George & John, wheelwrights

Roberts John, Shrewsbury Arms

Russell Benjamin, tailor &c

Shepherd Richard, miller

Stanley Edward, shoemaker

Steele Alfred, Old Bush

Taylor John, shoemaker

Taylor John, shoemaker. New house

Taylor William, shoemaker, New house

Thomas & Fletcher, builders

Thomas Thomas, carpenter

Tomkins John, grocer

Totty George, bricklayer

Totty John, overseer

Totty William, tailor

Ward John, blacksmith

Webster Frederick Taylor, farmer, Bowling green

Wedge Daniel, bootmaker

Wheeler Bessy (Mrs.), carrier

Wolverhampton Waterworks (Joseph Crowther, manager), Cosford

Yates John, fanner, The Elms

Post Office & Post Office Savings Bask. — Thomas Hammersley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Wolverhampton at 6.56 a.m.; dispatched at 7.14 p.m. Money orders issued & paid from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m

Insurance Agents : —

London & Liverpool, Henry Beck

Western Life, George Austin

District Fire Office Engine Station, Wm. Bucknal, agent & keeper Thomas Howell, engineer

Registrar of Births & Deaths, Richard Dickins

Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway, William James, station master

National School, Alfred Walker, master; Mrs. Letitia Walker, mistress

Carrier to Wolverhampton.— Mrs. Bessy Wheeler, every monday, Wednesday & Saturday, to the 'Star,' John street Wolverhampton.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Albrighton Parish Registers

Albrighton near Wolverhampton Parish Registers 1555-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. III (1901)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Albrighton near Wolverhampton Parish Registers 1555-1812

Albrighton (Shifnal) Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents1, etc. in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept by the Clerk of the Parish Council in an iron safe at his house, viz:-

  • Parish Council Minute Book.
  • Parish Meeting Minute Book.
  • Account Book.
  • Declaration Book.
  • Attendance Book.
  • Treasurer’s Bond.

Documents, etc. in the custody of the vicar. – The following Documents etc. are kept in safes in the Vestry, viz:-

  • General Register, 1555 – 1653 (good state of preservation and re-bound by Vicar).
  • General Register, 1660 – 1725. This Register contains an entry of the Burial of the only Duke of Shrewsbury, viz., the 23rd February, 1717.
  • General Register, 1726 – 1780 (but Marriages only to 1753).
  • Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1780 to the end of 1812
  • Register of Baptisms 1813 – 1841
  • Register of Baptisms 1841 – 1868
  • Register of Baptisms 1868 – in use.
  • Register of Burials, 1813 – 1857
  • Register of Burials 1857 – in use.
  • Register of Marriages 1754 – 1812.
  • Register of Marriages 1813 – 1837
  • Register of Marriages 1837 – in use.
  • Book of Corporation Records, including a copy of the Charter, dated 17th year of reign of Chas. II.
  • Small Map of new Road from Tong.
  • Churchwardens’ and Overseers’ Account Book, 1821 – 1837.
  • Receipt and payment Book, dated 1837, containing a few entries only.
  • Rate Book, dated 1838.
  • Register of Parish Apprentices, 1811 – 1835.
  • Eighteen Old Deeds relating to the Chapman, Bromley, Waltho, and Scott Charities. (the more recent Deeds were stated to be in the custody of Dr. Lamb as Trustee (Parochial Charities.)
  • Cosford Bridge Agreement.
  • Map showing boundary between the parishes of Albrighton and Patshull, together with Commissioners’ Award, dated 1847.
  • Miscellaneous Documents.
  • Tithe Map and Tithe Apportionment, dated 16th March, 1850.

The following list of Documents, etc., was supplied by the Clerk of the Parish Council, and stated to be in the custody of Dr. B. W. Lamb, as sole Trustee of the charities, and kept by him in an iron safe:-

(Note – We have been informed that since the inspection of these Documents the Charity Commissioners have increased the number of Trustees to five).

  • Deed of Bargain and Sale of Land, dated 1681
  • Deed of Trust, purchase of Land dated 1682
  • Deed of Trust dated 1713
  • Deed of Trust dated 1736
  • Lease to Invest dated 1772
  • Deed of Exchange dated 1772
  • Deed of Trust, Poor Land dated 1772
  • Deed to Invest dated 1772
  • Lease dated 11th February, 1791
  • Deed of Trust dated 1796
  • Deed of Trust dated 18th February, 1797
  • Deed of Trust dated 24th June, 1848
  • Deed of Trust dated 12th July, 1865
  • Deed of Trust dated 9th August, 1887

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shifnal
  • Probate Court: Court of the Royal Peculiar of St Mary Shrewsbury
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Shifnal
  • Poor Law Union: Shifnal
  • Hundred: Brimstree
  • Province: Canterbury

  1. Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.