Skip to content

Alberbury, Shropshire Family History Guide

Alberbury Church. The copyright on this image is owned by John Firth and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Alberbury, locally pronounced “Obberbury”, is a parish situate nine miles west from Shrewsbury, in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of Pontesbury. It lies mainly in the Shropshire hundred of Ford, but partly in the Deythur and Caurse hundreds of Montgomeryshire. It comprises Loton Park and the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Little Shrawardine, Rowton, and Amaston in Salop, and Bauseley, Coedway, and Crewe Green in Montgomeryshire. Criggion and Great Wollaston, both formerly parts of Alberbury, have been cut off from it and made into separate parishes. The parish of Alberbury contains an area of 9,599 acres. The population in 1871 was 1661; in 1801 it was 794.

Source: Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. VI (1902). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Alternative names: Abberbury

Parish church: St Michael and All Angels

Parish registers begin: 1564

Nonconformists include: Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Alberbury

  • Cardeston
  • Shrawardine
  • Worthen
  • Ford
  • Westbury
  • Great Wollaston
  • Melverley
  • Middletown
  • Criggion
  • Bausley
  • Rhos-goch
  • Uppington

Historical Descriptions

Alberbury

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Abberbury or Alberbury, 8¼ miles W. Shrewsbury. P. 1861.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Alberbury or Abberbury, a parish comprising the townships of Cruggion, Middleton, and Uppington, in the hund, of Cawrse, and the township of Bausley in the hund, of Deythur, county of Montgomery; and the townships of Alderbury, Benthal with Shrswardine, Eyton, Rowton with Amaston, and Wollaston, in the hund. of Ford, county of Salop. The parish is in the union of Atcham, and 8¼ miles west by north of Shrewsbury, on the road to Llanfyllin. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 10s., and in the parliamentary returns at £136; gross income £187- It is in the patronage of All Souls' college, Oxford. Bequests to the amount of about £14 yearly have been left to the poor of this parish. Pop. of the parish, in 1801, 1,204; in 1831, 1,799. Houses 472. That portion of the parish, which is in the county of Salop, comprehends 6,040 acres. A. P. £12,562. Poor rates, in 1837, £319. Tanner says: “Warine, the sheriff of Sbropshire, and a great warrior against the Welsh, founded near this place the New Abbey for Black monks of the order of Grandmorst in Limosin, temp. Hen. I. It was suppressed among the alien priories, and bestowed by King Henry VI., ann. reg. 19. at the request of Henry Chichele, archbishop of Canterbury, on All Souls' college in Oxford.” Some vestiges of this building may still be traced. Glyn, a hamlet in this parish, was the birth-place of old Parr. His cottage is still standing, and has undergone little alteration since the time he lived in it.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

England and Wales Delineated Thomas Dugdale 1835

Abberbury or Alberbury, a parish and township, partly in the hundred of Cawrse and Deythur, in the county of Montgomery, and partly in that of Ford, in the county of Salop. Warine, sheriff of this county in the reign of Henry I., founded an abbey for black monks, a cell to Guardmont, in Limosin, which, at the suppression of alien priories was bestowed by Henry VI., upon the college founded by Archbishop Chiechley. Benthall, Eyton, Rowton, Amaston, and Wollaston, are all townships of this parish. At Glyn, in this parish, is the celebrated Old Parr’s cottage, which has undergone but little alteration since his time; it is timber-framed, rare, and picturesque, within view of Rodney’s Pillar on Bredden Hill, in Montgomeryshire. In Wollaston Chapel is a brass plate, with his portrait thus inscribed: “The old, old, very old man, Thomas Parr, was born at the Glyn, in the township of Wennington, within the chapelry of Great Wollaston, and parish of Alberbury, in the county of Salop, in 1483. He lived in the reigns of ten kings and queens of England, viz. King Edward IV., King Edward V., King Richard III., King Henry VII., King Henry VIII., King Edward VI., Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, King James I., and Charles I.; he died in London, (sixteen years after his presentation to King Charles,) on the 13th of November, 1635, and was buried in Westminster Abbey, on the 15th of the same month, aged one hundred and fifty-two years and nine months. At the age of one hundred and five, he did penance in the church of Alberbury, for criminal connexion with Catherine Milton, by whom he had offspring.”

Source: England and Wales Delineated by Thomas Dugdale assisted by William Burnett; published by Tallis & Co., Green Arbour Court, Old Bailey, 1835.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Alberbury. A parish partly in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, partly in Montgomeryshire. A vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. The Shropshire part contains 189 houses, 1113 inhabitants. 8 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Loton Hall Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Loton Park country house Some sources date this from the 14th century, another suggests it was built in 1620. The copyright on this image is owned by Peter Craine and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Loton Hall. In the hundred of Ford, near Alberbury. 9 miles west of Shrewsbury. The seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Amaston

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Amaston See Rowton

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Amaston. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 49 houses, 227 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Benthall

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Benthall and Shrawardine, 2¾ m. E.S.E. and included in Abberbury

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Benthall. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 6 houses, 48 inhabitants. 6 miles west of Shrewsbury

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Braggington

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Braggington. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 11 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bulthy

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bulthy; or Bwlthau. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 12 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Ford

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Ford. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Hall Mill

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Hall Mill. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in to Ford division of the hundred of Ford.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Rowton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Rowton. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford. 7 miles west of Shrewsbury. Rowton and Amaston contain 47 houses, 227 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Wollaston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Great Wollaston; or Woolaston. A township in the parish of Alberbury, and in the Ford division of the hundred of Ford, a chapel to Alberbury, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Pontesbury, and archdeaconry of Salop. 11 miles west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Alberbury Parish Registers

Alberbury Parish Registers Part I 1564 to 1733

About the Registers

Alberbury Parish Registers Part I 1564 to 1733

Alberbury Parish Registers Part II 1733 to 1812

Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of Hereford Vol. VII (1902)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; W.P.W. Phillimore

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Alberbury Parish Registers Part II 1733 to 1812

Alberbury Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept at the Clerk’s house – no receptacle, viz:-

Parish Council Minute Book.

Cheque Book.

Treasurer’s Book, i.e., Pass Book.

Receipt and Payment Book.

Contribution Order Book.

Documents in the custody of the Vicar. – The following are kept in a chest at the Vicarage, viz:-

General Register, 1564 – 1634.

General Register. 1634 – 1661.

General Register, 1661 – 1706.

General Register, 1707 – 1735.

General Register, 1735 – 1754, then of Baptisms and Burials only to 1756.

Register containing Marriages, 1740-1752 & Burials, 1740-1779

Register containing Marriages, 1752-1754 & Baptisms, 1756-1775.

Register of Baptisms, 1776-1812.

Register of Banns and Marriages, 1754-1767

Register of Banns and Marriages, 1767-1812.

Register of Banns, 1824-1850.

Vestry Minute Book, 1886-1894.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1656 – 1675.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1679 – 1702

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1757 – 1784.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1773 – 1810.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1809 – 1844.

Assessment of Parish for Church purposes. – Upper Quarter, dated 1841.

Assessment of Parrish for Church purposes. – Lower Quarter, dated 1841.

Book of Accounts of the distribution of various moneys amongst the poor of the Parish, 1767-1847.

Various Maps – Ordnance Survey.

Award as to the boundary of the Parish of Ford, dated 29th December, 1846.

Bausley Enclosure Award, dated 2nd June, 1835

Tithe Maps and Awards, viz:-

Bausley dated 7th August, 1841

Bulthy dated 1st January, 1841

Cardeston dated 6th March, 1849

Criggion dated 7th March, 1843

Lower Quarter of Alberbury dated 29th September, 1843

Middleton dated 28th June, 1850

Trefnant dated 31st January, 1844

Uppington dated 15th March, 1845

Winnington dated 3rd April, 1844

Wollaston dated 21st December, 1848

Tracing of Map of Parish of Alberbury.

Office Copy of Order of Exchange of Lands in the township of Bausley and Tithe Rent Charge issuing out of lands in the township of Eyton, made between The Rev. G. F. Slade, Clerk, and All Souls College, Oxford.

Conveyance, dated 12th September, 1845, of a School site at Alberbury, made between The Rev. R. W. Huntly, Vicar of Alberbury, and The Wardens and Fellows of All Souls, Oxford.

Faculty for re-seating and re-flooring the Nave of Alberbury Church, dated 13th July, 1871

Miscellaneous papers, Apprenticeship Indentures. &c., & c.

The following are kept in a safe at the Vicarage viz:-

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1857

Register of Baptisms, 1857 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1857

Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – 1851

Register of Burials, 1851 – in use.

Churchwardens Account and Vestry Minute Book, 1843 – in use.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Alberbury Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Alberbury is a parish and small village, 0 miles west from Shrewsbury station, 18 from Welchpool, partly in Ford hundred, Salop, and partly in Deythur and Cawse hundreds, Montgomeryshire, Atcham union, Shrewsbury county court district, South Salop, rural deanery of Pontesbury, Salop archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric. It is divided into Upper and Lower Quarters. The Upper Quarter consists of the townships of Great Wollaston, Bulthey, Winnington, and Trefnant. The Lower Quarter consists of the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Shrawardine, Rowton, Amaston, and Bausley. The townships of Uppington, Middletown, and Criggion, each maintain their own poor. There are chapels of ease at Great Wollaston and at Criggion. The parish church of St. Micliael, an old stone building, has nave, chancel, and aisle (the latter belonging to Loton estate), a tower with clock and 5 bells; in the aisle are wall tablets and brasses to the Leighton family, and a stained glass window; in the nave are wall tablets and a window in memory of the Lyster family; in the chancel are seven memorial windows of stained glass, placed there in 1853, by John Lloyd, Esq. The earliest date of register is 1564. The living is a vicarage, composition for vicarial tithes, £156 15s. 10d. yearly, with residence and 35 acres of glebe land, in the gift of All Souls' College, Oxford; the Rev. George F. Slade, M.A., All Souls' College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls, endowed with £3 8s. per annum by the Fellows of All Souls' College. Loton Park is the seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., M.P., and Rowton Castle the seat of Henry Lyster, Esq. Adjoining the church are the ruins of an ancient castle; and a farm, about half a mile distant, is the White Abbey. On Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment, and barrows are scattered about the parish. The population in 186I was 1,918; the acreage is 9,599. This district was closely settled by the Romnns.

Alberbury township, in Ford hundred and division, contains 3,143a. 3r. 13p. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 632.

Red Abbey, White Abbey, The Hayes, Lower Wood, Stanford, Paddock, and Braggington Hail are places here.

Bulthey township, distant 3 miles west-south-west, contains 179a. 3r. 13p. The Bank and Play-y-Court are places here.

Rowton and Amaston are joint townships, in Ford hundred and division, distant respectively 1½ and 2½ miles south-east, and contain 1,522a. 0r. 23p. Henry Lyster, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Here is Rowton Castle.

Trefnant township, distant 4½ miles south-west, contains 527a. 3r. 20p. There is a mill called Dingle Mill.

Winnington, a township, 3 miles south-west, contains 1,604a. 3r. 19p. Mrs. Oldnall is principal landowner. The Glyn, in this township, is the birthplace of “Old Parr.” The Lodge, Hall Mill, and the Wood Leasowes are places here.

Wollaston, a township and chapelry in Ford division and hundred, distant 2 miles south-west, contains 496a. 0r. 18p.; the population in 1861 was 367. The chapel, rebuilt in 1788, is a barn-like stone building, with wooden turret and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Alberbury, and held by the Rev. John H. Harris, M.A. Near the chapel is a barrow. Wollaston forms part of the upper quarter of Alberbury.

Shrawardine is a township, in Ford hundred and division, Shropshire.

Eyton is a township, in Ford hundred and division.

Ford is a township, partly in this parish, which gives name to the hundred and division.

Bausley, a township in Deythur hundred, Montgomeryshire, distant about 4 miles, contains 1,684a. 2r. 2p.; the population in 1861 was 404.

Criggion, Upper and Lower, a township, in Cawse hundred, Montgomeryshire, distant about 6 miles, contains 2,401a. 1r. 4p., with a population in 1861 of 187. — Vickers, Esq., is the chief landowner.

Middletown, a township in Montgomeryshire, distant about 5 miles, contains 736a. 3r. 11p.

Uppington, a township in Montgomeryshire, distant about 7 miles, contains 1,002a. 0r. 14p.

Parish Clerk, Henry Poulter.

Alberbury.

Leighton Sir Baldwin, bart. M.P. Loton pk

Severne Rev. William, Whiston Priory

Slade Rev. George F. M.A. Vicarage

Bretchell Colliery Co. (limited)

Bromley Thomas, farmer, Shrewden

Crane George, farmer, Benthall

Davenport Benjamin, farmer, Amaston

Davis Edward, manager to Bretchell Colliery Co

Derwas Thomas, farmer, Hayes

Evans Griffith, tailor

Evans Thomas, farmer, Bragginton

Fox William, blacksmith

Gittins Robert, farmer, Lower wood

Gittins John, farmer, Benthall cross

Jones David, farmer, Eyton

Jones John, farmer, Eyton

Jones John, farmer, The Hole farm

Kempster Richard, farmer, Lower house

Large James, Dragon, &. farmer

Marsh Walter, tailor, Stanford

Middle James, farmer

Morris Samuel, butcher, Paddock

Morris William, farmer, White abbey

Plimley Samuel, farmer

Plumley Henry, farmer. Hilly house

Randles John, farmer, Red abbey

Rogers Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper

Smith John K. farmer

Watkin Evan, farmer, Braggington

Wilde William, farmer, Hayes

Bulthey.

Morgan John, farmer, Play-y-court

Speake John, farmer, Bulthey hill

Swaine John, farmer, Bank

Williams Richard, farmer, Bulthey hall

Rowton.

Lyster Henry, esq. Rowton castle

Bennett John, Windmill, & farmer

Dorricott Richard, farmer, Stretton heath

Jones John, farmer

Jukes Richard, farmer

Poulter Richard, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Poulter William, basket maker

Smout Richard, farmer

Trefnant.

Brown John, farmer

Edwards John, farmer

Griffiths John, farmer

Kearne George, farmer

Rowlands John, miller, Dingle mill

Winnington.

Brown John, farmer

Brown Thomas, farmer

Edwards Thomas, farmer

Edwards Wm. farmer, Winnington grn

Davies Wm. Rose & Crown, & blacksmith

Jones John, farmer, Glyn common

Jones Thomas, farmer, Hargrave

Maddocks Robert, farmer, The Lodge

Preece Thomas, farmer

Pugh Richard, farmer, Glyn

Rogers Thomas, farmer, Hall mill

Rogers William, farmer. Hall mill

Turner John, farmer, Wood Leasowes

Wollaston.

Clemson Thomas, farmer, Parton wood

Clemson Thomas, farmer

Eddowes Thomas, farmer, The Lane

Jones Richard, farmer

Marsh Walter, tailor

Pickford Charles, wheelwright

Smout Francis, farmer

Turner Edward, blacksmith

Post Office. — Miss Elizabeth Rogers, receiver. Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Shrewsbury

National School, Samuel Edwards, master; Mrs. Edwards, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Alberbury Directory of Shropshire 1875

Alberbury is an extensive parish and village, 9 miles west from Shrewsbury station, and 12 from Welchpool, partly in Ford hundred, Salop, and partly in Deythur and Cawse hundreds, Montgomeryshire, Southern division of the county of Salop, Atcham union, rural deanery of Pontesbury, and diocese of Hereford. It is divided into Upper and Lower Quarters. The Upper Quarter consists of the townships of Great Wollaston, Bulthey, Winnington, and Trefnant, in Salop, and Uppington and Middletown, in Montgomeryshire. The Lower Quarter consists of the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Little Shrawardine, Rowton, and Amaston, in Salop, and Bauseley and Criggion, with the hamlets of Coedway and Crewe Green, in Montgomeryshire; and each maintain their own poor. The parish church of St. Michael is an old stone building. The living is a vicarage, composition for vicarial tithes, £156 15s. 10d. yearly, with residence, and 32 acres of glebe land, in the gift of All Souls' College, Oxford. There is a school for boys and girls, endowed with £3 8s. per annum by the Fellows of All Souls' College. Adjoining the church are the ruins of an ancient castle. On Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment, and barrows are scattered about the parish. Loton park is the seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner; and Rowton Castle, the seat of Lady Charlotte Lyster. The charities amount to £11. Alberbury Priory was founded by Fulk Fitzwarin, between the year 1220 and 1230. Pope Nicholas's Taxation represents the priory of Alberbury's annual income to be, in temporalities, £2 7s.; in moveables, £1 9s. Upon the breaking out of the great war with France, Edward III. seized the alien priory of Alberbury, which continued an escheat of the Crown until the time of Henry VI. This King, at the request of Chicheley, Archbishop of Canterbury, on the 11th of May, 1441, granted this suppressed priory, with all its tithes, advowsons of churches and chapels, &c., in free and perpetual alms to All Soul's College, Oxford. The soil is light loam; subsoil, sand and clay. The population in 1861 was 1,918; the area is 9,599 acres; gross estimated rental, £9,300; rateable value, £8,600

ALBERBURY township, in Ford hundred and division, contains 3,143a, 3r. Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The population in 1861 was 632

BRAGGINGTON HALL, an old manison, erected in 1674, is now used as a farmhouse.

ROWTON and AMASTON are joint townships, in Ford hundred and division, distant respectively 1 ½ and 2 ½ miles south-east, and contain 1,522 acres. Lady Charlotte Lyster possesses the manorial rights, and is the principal landowner.

LITTLE SHRAWARDINE is a township, in Ford hundred and division, Shropshire.

EYTON is a township, in Ford hundred and division.

FORD is a township, partly in this parish, which gives name to the hundred and division.

BAUSELEY is a'township in Deythur hundred, Montgomeryshire. Contains 1,685 acres. The population in 1861 was 404.

WOLLASTON, Bulthey, Trefnant, and Winnington, townships, with Middletown and Uppington, in Montgomeryshire, form the ecclesiastica parish of Great Wollaston, and will be found under that heading.

Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5-20 p.m.

CRIGGION, in Cawse hundred, Montgomeryshire, 4 miles distant from Alberbury, is now an ecclesiastical parish. The church is a brick building with square tower. The living is a vicarage, annual value £147, in the gift of Valentine Vickers, Esq. Valentine Vickers, Esq., is the chief landowner. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,401 acres, and the population in 1861 was 187.

Letters arrive through Shrewsbury.

Alberbury.

Leighton Sir Baldwin, bart. J.P. Loton park

Leighton Baldwin, esq. J.P. Loton park

Leighton Stanley, esq. Loton park

Mitchell Rev. Josiah M.A. Vicarage

Severne Rev. William, Whiston priory

Bromley Thomas, farmer, Shrawardine

Campbell Robert, farm bailiff

Crane John, farmer, Benthall

Davenport Benjamin, farmer, Amaston

Davenport William, farmer, Benthall crss

Derwas Thomas, farmer, Hayes

Evans Griffith, tailor

Evans Thomas, farmer, Bragginton hall

Groves Samuel, farmer

Haywood Philip, farmer & malster, Red abbey

Jones David,   fanner,   Lower  house, Eyton

Jones Evan, farmer, Upper house, Eyton

Jones  John,   head   gamekeeper,   Old Weir

Jones John, farmer, The Hole farm

Jones William E.  farmer,  The Hole farm

Kempster Richard, farmer, Lowerhouse

Large James, Dragon inn, and farmer

Llewellyn John, farmer, Lower wood

Marsh Walter, tailor, Stanford

Morris David, farmer, Bragginton

Morris Thomas, farmer, Paddock

Morris William, farmer, White abbey

Plumley Henry, farmer, Hilly house

Rogers Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper

Smith Edwin, farmer

Smith John K. farmer

Wilde Richard, farmer, Hayes

Rowton.

Lyster Lady Charlotte, Rowton castle

Bolton William, gamekeeper

Brown Ann, Windmill inn and farmer

Clements Robert, steward

Clemson John, farmer, Park farm

Cooper Thomas, estate carpenter and builder, Rowton castle

Dorricott  Richard, farmer,   Stretton heath

Jones John, farmer

Jukes Richard, farmer

Munday William, head gardener, Rowton castle

Poulter William, blacksmith

Poulter William, basket maker

Smout Richard, farmer

Vass Henry, coachman, Rowton castle

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Alberbury Directory of Shropshire 1871

Alberbury is an extensive parish and village, 9 miles west from Shrewsbury station, and 12 from Welchpool, partly in Ford hundred, Salop, and partly in Deythur and Cawse hundreds, Montgomeryshire, Southern division of the county of Salop, Atcham union, rural deanery of Pontesbury, and diocese of Hereford.  It is divided into Upper and Lower Quarters.  The Upper quarter consists of the townships of Great Wollaston, Bulthey, Winnington, and Trefnant, in Salop, and Uppington and Middletown, in Montgomeryshire.  The Lower Quarter consists of the townships of Alberbury, Eyton, Little Shrawardine, Rowton, Amaston, in Salop, and Bauseley and Criggion, with the hamlets of Coedway and Crewe Green, in Montgomeryshire; and each maintain their own poor.  The parish church of St. Michael is an old stone building.  The living is a vicarage, composition for vicarial tithes, £156 15s. 10d. yearly, with residence, and 22 acres of glebe land, in the gift of All Souls’ College, Oxford.  There is a school for boys and girls, endowed with £3 8s. per annum by the Fellows of All Souls’ College.  Adjoining the church are the ruins of an ancient castle.  On Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment, and barrows are scattered about the parish.  Loton park is the seat of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner; and Rowton Castle, the seat of Lady Charlotte Lyster.  The charities amount to £11.  Alberbury Priory was founded by Fulk Fitzwarin, between the year 1220 and 1230.  Pope Nicholas’s Taxation represents the priory of Alberbury’s annual income to be, in temporalities, £2 7s.; in moveables, £1 9s.  Upon the breaking out of the great war with France, Edward III. seized the alien priory of Alberbury, which continued an escheat of the Crown until the time of Henry VI.  This King, at the request of Chicheley, Archbishop of Canterbury, on the 11th of May, 1441, granted this suppressed priory, with all its tithes, advowsons of churches and chapels, &c., in free and perpetual alms to All Soul’s College, Oxford.  The soil is light loam; subsoil, sand and clay.  The population in 1861 was 1,918; the area is 9,599 acres; gross estimated rental, £9,300; rateable value, £8,600.

ALBERBURY township, in Ford hundred and division, contains 3,143a. 3r.  Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The population in 1861 was 632.

BRAGGINGTON HALL, an old mansion, erected in 1674, is now used as a farmhouse.

ROWTON AND AMASTON are joint townships, in Ford hundred and division, distant respectively 1 ½ and 2 ½ miles south-east, and contain 1,522 acres.  Lady Charlotte Lyster possesses the manorial rights, and is the principal landowner.

LITTLE SHRAWARDINE is a township, in Ford hundred and division, Shropshire.

EYTON is a township, in Ford hundred and division.

FORD is a township, partly in this parish, which gives name to the hundred and division.

BAUSELEY is a township in Deythur hundred, Montgomeryshire.  Contains 1,685 acres.  The population in 1861 was 404.

WOLLASTON, Bulthey, Trefnant, and Winnington townships, with Middletown and Uppington, in Montgomeryshire, form the ecclesiastical parish of Great Wollaston, and will be found under that heading.

Letters arrive from Shrewsbury at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5-20 p.m.

CRIGGION, in Cawse hundred, Montgomeryshire, 4 miles distant from Alberbury, is now an ecclesiastical parish.  The church is a brick building with square tower.  The living is a vicarage, annual value £147, in the gift of Valentine Vickers, Esq.  Valentine Vickers, Esq., is the chief landowner.  The soil is loam; subsoil, clay.  The area is 2, 401 acres, and the population in 1861 was 187.

Letters arrive through Shrewsbury.

ALBERBURY.

Leighton Sir Baldwin, bart. J.P. Loton park

Leighton Baldwin, esq. J.P. Loton park

Leighton Stanley, esq. Loton park

Mitchell Rev. Josiah M.A. Vicarage

Severne Rev. William, Whiston priory

Bromley Thomas, farmer, Shrawardine

Campbell Robert, farm bailiff

Crane John, farmer, Benthall

Davenport Benjamin, farmer, Amaston

Davenport William, farmer, Benthall crss.

Derwas Thomas, farmer, Hayes

Evans Griffith, tailor

Evans Thomas, farmer, Bragginton hall

Groves Samuel, farmer

Haywood Philip, farmer & maltster, Red abbey

Jones David, farmer, Lower house, Eyton

Jones Evan, farmer, Upper house, Eyton

Jones John, head gamekeeper, Old Weir

Jones John, farmer, The Hole farm

Jones William E. farmer, The Hole farm

Kempster Richard, farmer, Lowerhouse

Large James, Dragon inn, and farmer

Llewellyn John, farmer, Lower wood

Marsh Walter, tailor, Stanford

Morris David, farmer, Bragginton

Morris Thomas, farmer, Paddock

Morris William, farmer, White abbey

Plumley Henry, farmer, Hilly house

Rogers Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper

Smith Edwin, farmer

Smith John K. farmer

Wilde Richard, farmer, Hayes

ROWTON.

Lyster Lady Charlotte, Rowton castle

Bolton William, gamekeeper

Brown Ann, Windmill inn and farmer

Clements Robert, steward

Clemson John, farmer, Park farm

Cooper Thomas, estate carpenter and builder, Rowton castle

Dorricott Richard, farmer, Stretton heath

Jones John, farmer

Jukes Richard, farmer

Munday William, head gardener, Rowton castle

Poulter William, blacksmith

Poulter William, basket maker

Smout Richard, farmer

Vass Henry, coachman, Rowton castle

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Maps

Map of Alberbury in 1780

Map of Alberbury in 1780

View Full Size

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Ford
  • Province: Canterbury