Skip to content

Adderley, Shropshire Family History Guide

Adderley is a small village and parish in the extreme north of Shropshire, four miles from Market Drayton, and includes the townships of Adderley, Spoonley, and (ecclesiastically) Shavington. It is in the diocese of Lichfield., archdeaconry of Salop, rural-deanery of Hodnet, and hundred of North Bradford. It has an area of 3,938 acres, and a population of 468 in 1891. In 1676 there were 198 inhabitants over the age of 16, of whom two were Nonconformists.

Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1692

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Adderley

  • Market Drayton
  • Calverhall
  • Norton in Hales
  • Audlem
  • Moreton Say
  • Ightfield

Historical Descriptions

Adderley Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Adderley, 3 m. N. Drayton. P. 404.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Adderley The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adderley, a parish in the Drayton division of the hund. of Bradford North, union of Drayton, Shropshire; 4 miles north of Market-Drayton. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £11 6s. 0½d. Patron, in 1829, H. C. Cotton, Esq. There is a small foundation in this parish for the education of poor children. The Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal runs through this parish. Pop, in 1801, 365; in 1831, 468. Houses 73. Acres 2,260. A. P. £5,603. Poor rates, in 1837, £236.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Adderley Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Adderley. A parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of Bradford, North. A rectory in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 59 homes, 378 inhabitants. The residence of Sir Andrew Corbet, bart. 3 ½ miles north of Drayton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Adderley Parish Registers

Adderley Parish Registers 1692-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. IV (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Adderley Parish Registers 1692-1812 Archive.org

Adderley Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Council. – Kept in a desk in the house of the Clerk, viz : -

Parish Council Minute Book.

Declaration Book.

Receipt and Payment Book.

Pass Book.

Cheque Book.

Financial Statements.

Miscellaneous papers.

Documents in the custody of the Rector. – The following are kept in an iron chest in the Church, viz :-

General Register, 1692 – 1754, then Baptisms and Burials only to 1772.

Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1772 – 1812.

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – 1883.

Register of Baptisms, 1883 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1755 – 1812.

Register of Marriages, 1813 – 1836.

Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.

Register of Banns, 1824 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.

Vestry Minute Book, 1846 – in use.

Terrier of Glebe, dated 1752.

Copy of Terrier of Glebe Lands, dated 1836.

Terrier of Lands, Tithe, &c., in Adderley, dated 1884.

Church Rate Assessment Book, 1849 – 1867.

Agreement, with Map, dated February 24th, 1860, between the Landowners of the West of England and South Wales Drainage and Inclosure Company and Richard Corbet, Esq. for draining lands in Moreton Say, Stoke-upon-Tern, Childs Ercall, Adderley, and Drayton-in-Hales.

Justices Certificate of ditto, dated 1861.

Director Certificate of ditto, dated 1863.

Various old deeds and miscellaneous papers, &c., &c.

The following are kept at the rectory, viz :-

Supervisors of Highways Account Book, 1750 – 1801.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1802.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1802 – 1863.

Overseer’s Account Book, 1791 – 1822.

Overseer’s Account Book, 1823 – 1835.

Vestry Minute Book, 1784 – 1797.

Vestry Minute Book, 1798 – 1804.

Vestry Minute Book (Rates), 1806 – 1824.

Vestry Minute Book, 1808 – 1813.

Book containing names of recipients of Reynolds Charity 1767 – 1825

Do, 1826 – 1888

Do. 1889 – in use.

Tithe Map and Award, dated 1840.

Deed of Exchange of several pieces of land in Adderley, dated 1790.

Order of Exchange of Lands at Adderley, dated 31st January, 1866.

A Schedule of Deeds and Papers belonging to the Parish of Adderley made the 24th April, 1789.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire 1875

Adderley is a small village and parish, comprising the townships of Adderley, Shavington, and Spoonley, 181 miles by rail from London, and four north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union, Northern division of the county, and diocese of Litchfleld. The church of St. Peter is a stone building, which was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family ; there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., value £666 yearly, with good residence, and 16 acres of glebe land. The annual charities amount to £48. There is a school for boys and girls. Adderley Hall is the residence of Henry Reginald Corbet, Esq., J.P. Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sand and clay ; subsoil, gravel and sand. Upon the forfeiture of the Norman earls, this manor came into the hands of King Henry I., who gave it, along with Idsall, to Allan de Dunstanvill. Implicated in the rebellion of the Earl of Lancaster, Lord Badlesmere was taken prisoner at the battle of Boroughbridge, when, being convicted of high treason, the lord of Adderley was drawn, hanged, and beheaded. The area is about 3,940 acres; the population in 1861 was 428. Gross estimated rental, £6,820 ; rateable value, £6,413.

Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9 15 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p,m.

Adderley.

Corbet Rev. Athelston, M. A.

Corbet Henry Reginald, esq. J.P., Adderley hall

Bennion Thomas Platt, farmer, The Lodge

Bourne John, farmer, Adderley Park farm

Duckers John, farmer, The Lees

Evanson John, farmer and farm steward, Adderley farm

Evanson Samuel, estate carpenter and builder

Groucott John, farmer

Hedley George, gamekeeper

Lee John, shoe maker

Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm

Malam Thomas, farmer and butcher

Malam Thomas, jun,, Raven Inn, and farmer

Massey Edward, farmer. Pool house

Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Simons Joseph, blacksmith

Wilkinson George David, lime merchant

Young Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor

Spoonley.

Lea Samuel, farmer

Lewis William, farmer

Moore Thomas, farmer

Mulliner Thomas, farmer

Parker William, farmer

Reade William, farmer

Morrey.

Bourne Samuel, farmer

Davies Joseph, farmer

Lunt Martha, farmer

Williams Joseph, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Adderley is a small village and parish, comprising the townships of Adderley, Shavington, and Spoonley, 181 miles by rail from London, and four north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union, Northern division of the county, and diocese of Litchfield.  The church of St. Peter is a stone building, which was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family; there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., value £666 yearly, with good residence, and 16 acres of glebe land.  The annual charities amount to £48.  there is a school for boys and girls.  Adderley Hall is the residence of Henry Reginald Corbet, Esq., J.P.  Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.  The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, gravel and sand.  Upon the forfeiture of the Norman earls, this manor came into the hands of King Henry I., who gave it, along with Idsall, to Allan de Dunstanvill.  Implicated in the rebellion of the Earl of Lancaster, Lord Badlesmere was taken prisoner at the battle of Boroughbridge, when, being convicted of high treason, the lord of Adderley was drawn, hanged, and beheaded.  The area is about 3,940 acres; the population in 1861 was 428.  Gross estimated rental, £6,820; rateable value, £6,413.

Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9 15 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.

ADDERLEY

Corbet Rev. Athelston, M.A.

Corbet Henry Reginald, esq. J.P., Adderley hall

Bennion Thomas Platt, farmer, The Lodge

Bourne John, farmer, Adderley Park farm

Duckers John, farmer, The Lees

Evanson John, farmer and farm steward, Adderley farm

Evanson Samuel, estate carpenter and builder

Groucott John, farmer

Hedley George, gamekeeper

Lee John shoe maker

Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm

Malam Thomas, farmer and butcher

Malam Thomas. Jun., Raven Inn, and farmer

Massey Edward, farmer, Pool house

Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Simons Joseph, blacksmith

Wilkinson George David, lime merchant

Young Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor

SPOONLEY

Lea Samuel, farmer

Lewis William, farmer

Moore Thomas, farmer

Mulliner Thomas, farmer

Parker William, farmer

Reade William, farmer

MORREY

Bourne Samuel, farmer

Davies Joseph, farmer

Lunt Martha, farmer

Williams Joseph, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Adderley Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Adderley is a small rural village and parish, and railway station, comprising the townships of Adderley,  Shavington, and Spoonley, 169 miles by rail and 159 by road north-west from London, 9 west from Whitmore, 4 north from Market Drayton, in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, Market Drayton union and county court district, rural deanery of Whitchurch, Salop archdeaconry, and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Peter is a Gothic stone building; it has a square tower, with clock and 3 bells, nave, chancel, transept, aisle, and chapel; it was rebuilt about 1800, with the exception of the tower and chapel; the latter is used as a mausoleum for the Kilmorey family: there are several monuments and tablets to the Needham family, and a monument to the late Sir Corbet Corbet, Bart., and two brasses. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Richard Corbet, Esq., of the value of £666 yearly, with residence and 19 acres of glebe land; the Rev. Athelstane Corbet is the incumbent. There is a school for boys and girls. The acreage is about 3,940; the population in 1861 was 428. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, gravel and sand. The principal residences are Shavington Hall, the seat of the Earl of Kilmorey, at present occupied by Capt. Alfred Hill; and Adderley Hall, the residence of Reginald Corbet, Esq., M.P., J.P. Richard Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.

Adderley.

Corbet Rev. Athelstane [rector]

Corbet Reginald, esq. M.P., J.P.Adderley hall

Hill Capt. Alfred, Shavington hall

Commercial.

Bennion Thos. Platt, farmer, The Lodge

Duckers John, farmer, The Lees

Evanson Job, farmer

Groucott John, farmer

Lea James, farmer, New farm

Lee John, shoemaker

Lee Robert, farmer, Wems farm

Lowe John, shoemaker

Malom Thomas, farmer & butcher

Massey Thomas, farmer

Moore George, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Moore Thomas, farmer, Hawksmoor

Roberts James, lime merchant

Simons John, blacksmith

Teece Henry, Raven

Spoonley.

Lea Samuel, farmer

Lewis William, farmer

Mulliner Thomas, farmer

Reade William, farmer

Post Office.— Miss Ann Woodcock, postmistress. Letters arrive from Market Drayton at 9.15 a.m.; dispntched at 4 p.m. The nearest monoy order office is at Market Drayton.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
  • Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury