Acton Scott

Photo of St. Margaret, Acton Scott. by Henry Griffiths, some rights reserved.

Acton Scott Shropshire Family History

Acton Scott is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Places in Acton Scott parish: Alcaston

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1690

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Acton Scott

  • Hope Bowdler
  • Church Stretton with All Stretton and Little Stretton
  • Diddlebury
  • Wistanstow
  • Eaton under Haywood

Historical Descriptions

Acton Scott

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Acton-Scott, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; near the river Onney, under Wenlock Edge, 2 miles E of Marsh Brook r. station, and 3 S of Church-Sretton. Post-town, Church-Stretton. Acres, 1,889. Real property, £2,012. Pop., 207. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £238. Patron, F. W. Pendarvis, Esq. The church is very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Acton-Scott, 3 miles S. Church-Stretton. P. 204

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Acton Scott (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Church Stretton, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Church Stretton; containing 204 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the new road from Wenlock to Bishop’s Castle, abounds with bold, and in some parts, romantic scenery, and contains by measurement 1600 acres, all cultivated, excepting about 200 under plantation and coppice: the surface is hilly; the soil comprises several varieties, the stone is quarried for building and the repair of roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 10., and in the gift of E. W. W. Pendarves, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £230, and there are 61 acres of glebe. A school is supported.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Acton-Scott, a parish in the hund. of Munslow, union of Church-Stretton, Shropshire; 3 miles south from Church-Stretton, near a branch of the Teme. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 10s. Patron, in 1835, Mrs S. Stackhouse. Pop., in 1801, 164; in 1831, 204. Houses 33. Acres 930. A. P. £1,397. Poor rates, in 1837, £125.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Acton Scott. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. A rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Wenlock, and archdeaconry of Salop. 24 houses, 187 inhabitants. 3 miles south of Church Stretton.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Alcaston

GREGORY SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824

Alcaston. A township in the parish of Acton Scott, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 8 ½ miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Acton Scott, Poll Book 1865

Acton Scott Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting.

(None.)

Documents in the custody of the Rector. – Kept at the Rectory, viz :-

General Register, 1690 – 1754 – then Baptisms and Burials only to 1758.

Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1759 – 1812

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use.

Register of Banns, 1866 – in use.

Register of Marriages, 1755 – 1812.

Register of Marriages, 1814 – 1835.

Register of Marriages, 1838 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.

Tithe Map and Award, dated 13th December, 1846, kept in the Vestry.

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Acton Scott Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Acton Scott - Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871
Acton Scott Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Church Stretton
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury