Skip to content

Acton Round Shropshire Family History Guide

Photo of St Mary's parish church, Acton Round by Row17, some rights reserved.

Acton Round is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1731 from chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.

Places included in Acton Round parish: Muckley

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1713

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Acton Round

  • Monkhopton
  • Much Wenlock
  • Bourton
  • Aston Eyre
  • Barrow
  • Morville

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Acton-Round, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; near Wenlock Edge, 5 miles W by S of Linley r. station, and 6½ WNW of Bridgnorth. Post-town, Burton under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 2,126. Rated property, £1,400. Pop., 173. Houses, 36. Sir F. R. E. Acton, Bart., of Aldenham Hall, is the chief proprietor; and Cardinal Acton belonged to his family. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £85. Patron, Sir F. R. E. Acton. The church is ancient and cruciform, has a small tower, contains three fine monuments of the Acton family, and was recently restored.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Acton-Round, 5½ m. N.W. Bridgenorth. P. 180

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Acton Round, a parish, in the union of Bridgenorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 3 ¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Much Wenlock, 6 miles  (W. N. W.) from Bridgenorth; containing 180 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Much Wenlock to Bridgenorth, comprises by computation 2126a. 2r. 26p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patron and impropriator, Sir John Acton, Bart. Certain tithes were commuted for land under an inclosure act in 1773: there are about 25 acres of glebe, of which 14 are near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, and 11 in the parish of Stottesden. The church is a neat edifice, of which the walls are ornamented with monuments to the memory of the Actons, by one of whom, Sir Richard, the chancel was built in 1761.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Acton-Round, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, Shropshire; 3 miles south from Much-Wenlock. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; valued in the parliamentary return at £59; gross in come £74. Patron, in 1835, Sir R. Acton. Pop., in 1801, 200; in 1831, 203. Houses 37. Acres, 3,040. A. P. £1,110. Poor rates, in 1837, £81.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Acton Round. A township in the parish of Much Wenlock, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden. 3 miles south of Much Wenlock. 38 homes, 214 inhabitants.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.

Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.

Bridgnorth Polling District

Acton Round, Parish of

409 Embrey Thomas

410 Farmer Edward, see 471

411 Farmer George Webster

412 Meredith William

413 Wellings Richard

Shropshire Parish Documents 1902

(The living of Acton Round is vacant at present)

Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting. – Kept at the house of the Clerk, viz :-

Parish Meeting Minute Book.

Parish Meeting Stamp.

Certain Documents relating to the Parish Charity.

Miscellaneous papers.

Documents in the custody of the Churchwarden. – Kept in an oak chest in the Vestry, viz :-

General Register, 1713 – 1799.

Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1800 – 1812

Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use

Register of Marriages, 1768 – 1814.

Register of Marriages, 1814 – 1837.

Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.

Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1674 – 1752

Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1796

Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902.  A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894.  Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location.  Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.

Directories

Acton Round Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Acton Round is a parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford. The church is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1850. The living is a vicarage, value £65 yearly, in the gift of Lord Acton. The charities consist of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton. Acton Round Hall is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of the vicar. Lord Acton, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Wenlock, are the principal landowners. The Timplars were introduced into Shropshire by the Fitz-Alms, lords of Acton Round; they are known to have built round churches. Sir Thomas Boteler, vicar of Much Wenlock, about the middle of the 16th century, says, that "the chapell of Acton Round was sometyme round like a temple." The population in 1861 was 173 ; the area is 1,940 acres. Gross estimated rental, £1,854 ; rateable value, £1,760.

Letters are received through Bridgnorth

Acton Round.

Gibson Rev. John, M.A., The Hall

Ainsworth Ann, farmer and miller

Dorrall Richard, farmer, Shirlett

Pointon Edward, farmer, Kite's nest

Preen Edward, farmer, Shirlett

Wadlow Joseph, farmer, Hall farm

Weaver J., farmer, Shirlett

Wicks Richard, farmer, Shirlett

Wyer   Richard,   farmer,   Monkhall grange

Muckley.

Farmer George Webster, farmer, Muckley cross

Meredith William, farmer

Powell Francis, Wheelwright

Wellings Richard, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.

Acton Round (inc. Muckley) - Cassey’s Directory of Shropshire 1871

Acton Round is a parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Southern division of the county, Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union, and diocese of Hereford.  The church is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1850.  The living is a vicarage, value £65 yearly, in the gift of Lord Acton.  The charities consist of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton.  Acton Round Hall is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of the vicar.  Lord Acton, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Wenlock, are the principal landowners.  The Timplars [sic] were introduced into Shropshire by the Fitz-Alms, lords of Acton Round; they are known to have built round churches.  Sir Thomas Boteler, vicar of Much Wenlock, about the middle of the 16th century, says, that “the chapell of Acton Round was sometime round like a temple.”  The population in 1861 was 173; the area is 1,940 acres.  Gross estimated rental, £1,854; rateable value, £1,760.

Letters are received through Bridgnorth.

ACTON ROUND

Gibson Rev. John, M.A., The Hall

Ainsworth Ann, farmer and miller

Dorrall Richard, farmer, Shirlett

Pointon Edward, farmer, Kite’s nest

Preen Edward, farmer, Shirlett

Wadlow Joseph, farmer, Hall farm

Weaver J., farmer, Shirlett

Wicks Richard, farmer, Shirlett

Wyer Richard, farmer, Monkhall grange

MUCKLEY

Farmer George Webster, farmer, Muckley cross

Meredith William, farmer

Powell Francis, Wheelwright

Wellings Richard, farmer

Source: Edward Cassey & Co’s, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Shropshire 1871

Acton Round Kellys Shropshire Directory 1863

Acton Round, or Round Acton, is a township nnd parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miIes north-west- by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union and county court district, South Salop, rural deanery of Wenlock, Salop archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road between Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock. The church (name unknown) is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1850; it consists of a small tower, nave, transept, porch, chancel, 2 bells, three handsome monuments to the memory of the Acton family, and a font. The register dates from the year 1651. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60 yearly, in the gift of Sir J. Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart.; the Rev. John Gibson, B.A.. Trinity College, Dublin, is the ineumbent. Acton Round Hall, formerly the seat of a branch of the Acton family, is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of Miss Wadlow. The population in 1861 was 173; the acreage is 1,940. The soil is a strong clay: the. subsoil is similar. Sir John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart., is lord of the manor. Lord Sudeley and Sir J. E. E. D. Acton, Bart., M.P., are the chief landowners. There are charities of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton.

Parish Clerk, Francis Taylor.

Acton Round.

Gibson Rev. John, B.A. The Hall

Ainsworth Ann (Mrs.), farmer & miller

Chune George, farmer, Shirlett

Davies Richd. farmer, Lower Monk hall

Embrey Thomas, farmer. Monk hall

Farmer Penelope (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Monk hall

Littleford Samuel, farmer, Lit. Spoonhill

Low Wm. gamekeeper & farmer, Shirlett

Preen Willliam, farmer, The Floors

Tippcn Edward, former, Kite's nest

Wadlow Ann (Miss), farmer, Hall farm

Wadlow Ann (Mrs.), farmer

Muckley.

Evans Richard, farmer

Evason William, shoemaker

Lewis Thomas, farmer

Powell Francis, wheelwright

Wellings Richard, farmer, Cross

Letters are received through Bridgnorth, & Much Wenlock is the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Wenlock
  • Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
  • Hundred: Stottesdon
  • Province: Canterbury