Uppingham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Rutland.
Parish church: Saints Peter and Paul
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists in Uppingham include: Baptist, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Uppingham, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Rutland. The town stands 3 miles SSW of Manton r. station, and 6 S of Oakham; is a seat of county courts; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a head post-office, two banking offices, a hotel, an ancient church restored in 1861, and surmounted by a lofty spire, four dissenting chapels, a new cemetery formed at a cost of more than £6,000, a famous grammar-school, a national school, a workhouse, charities £53, a weekly market on Wednesday, and fairs on 7 March and 7 July. The grammar-school was founded in the time of Elizabeth; was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £40,000; has a chapel in the decorated English style, built in 1865, at a cost of nearly £6,000; includes accommodation for from 250 to 300 boarders; holds two scholarships of £70 a year each, and three exhibitions at the universities; had Archbishop Manners Sutton, Bishops Ferne and Bramston, and Lord Chancellor Manners for pupils; and has, in connexion with it, an hospital-charity for decayed tradesmen, widows, and others. Pop. of the town, in 1861, 2,176. Houses, 392.—The parish comprises 1,210 acres. Real property, £.9,201; of which £140 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,068; in 1861, 2,186. Houses, 397. The manor belonged to the Montforts; passed to the Beauchamps, the Cecils, the Greys, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £661. Patron, the Bishop of P. Jeremy Taylor was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].