Ketton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland. Tixover is a chapelry of Ketton.
Ketton parish includes: Geeston, Aldgate, and Kelthorpe.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1561
Ketton, a village and a parish in the district of Stamford and county of Rutland. The village stands on the river Chater, adjacent to the Peterborough and Syston railway, near the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3¼ miles SW by W of Stamford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stamford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Geeston, Aldgate, and Kelthorpe. Acres, 2, 740. Real property, £5, 423; of which £258 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 053. Houses, 242. The old manor belonged, in the time of Stephen, to Richard de Humel; and passed, through various hands, to the Harringtons and the Noels. The prebendal manor of Ketton is now held in lease by the Hon. H. Middleton; the manor of Kelthorpe belongs to Lord Aveland; and the manors of Grenehams, Whitwells, and Hutchins belong to Lord Northwick. Ketton Hall, on the prebendal estate, is now held by John N. Fazakerley, Esq. The Ketton quarries, about a mile N of the village, are noted for their excellent freestone. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Tixover, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £175. Patron, the Prebendary of Ketton. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and N and S transepts, with a central tower, surmounted by a spire 180 feet high; was restored, at much expense, in 1861-3, with insertion of early decorated English new tracery in most of the windows; and contains three sedilia and an old painting of St. Christopher. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Ketton Village History - a wealth of information about the village including the full 1911 census available for download.