Hambleton

Photo of Hambleton, Rutland: the Old Priest's House (left) and Church of England parish church of St Andrew (right). by Russ Hamer, some rights reserved.

Hambleton Rutland Family History & Genealogy

Hambleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland. Braunston is a chapelry of Hambleton.

Parish church: St Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1558

Parishes adjacent to Hambleton

  • Manton
  • Burley
  • Edith Weston
  • Lyndon
  • Exton
  • Oakham
  • Egleton
  • Empingham
  • Normanton
  • Whitwell

Historical Description

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Hambleton, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Gwash, 3 miles NE by N of Manton r. station, and 3 ESE of Oakham; is said to have had three churches at the Conquest; was once a market town; and has a post office under Oakham. The parish comprises 1,154 acres. Real property, £694. Pop., 323. Houses, 64. The manor belonged to Editha, wife of the Confessor; passed to the Badlesmeres; and belongs now to George Finch, Esq. Hambleton Hall was a Tudor mansion, and became a farm house. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Braunston, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £180. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is chiefly early English, with later English clerestory; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower; and is in good condition. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Rutland
  • Civil Registration District: Oakham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Peterborough
  • Rural Deanery: Rutland
  • Poor Law Union: Oakham
  • Hundred: Martinsley
  • Province: Canterbury