Empingham

Empingham: Church Street Looking down the street. In the distance St Peter C of E Church. The copyright on this image is owned by Eugene Birchall and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Empingham Rutland Family History & Genealogy

Empingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Rutland.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1563

Nonconformists in Empingham include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Empingham

  • Horn
  • Exton
  • Tinwell
  • Great Casterton
  • Hambleton
  • Greetham
  • Normanton
  • Whitwell
  • Tickencote
  • Ketton

Historical Description

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Empingham, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on the river Gwash, 3½ miles NNW of Ketton r. station, and 6 WNW of Stamford; was once a market town; is traditionally said to have been anciently an important town, containing seven churches; and has a post office under Stamford. The parish comprises 2,780 acres. Real property, £6,910. Pop., 921. Houses, 177. The manor belonged to the Normanvilles, the Passeleys, and others; and passed to the Heathcotes. Empingham House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is early English, with Norman arches; and has a curious handsome tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The parish has a share in Forster’s charities.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Rutland
  • Civil Registration District: Oakham
  • Probate Court: Pre-1851 - Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Empingham, Post-1850 - Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Peterborough
  • Rural Deanery: Post-1850 - Rutland, Pre-1851 - None
  • Poor Law Union: Oakham
  • Hundred: East (Rutlandshire)
  • Province: Canterbury