Gloucester, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Last Updated on July 10, 2019Gloucester comprises the following parishes: Gloucester Cathedral, Gloucestershire Gloucester North Hamlet, Gloucestershire Gloucester Pool Meadow, Gloucestershire Gloucester South Hamlet, Gloucestershire Gloucester St Aldate, Gloucestershire Gloucester St Catherine, Gloucestershire Gloucester St James, Gloucestershire Gloucester St John the Baptist, Gloucestershire Gloucester St Mark, Gloucestershire Gloucester St Mary de Crypt with All Saints …

Gloucester Bankrupts 1820 to 1843

Below is a list of people from Gloucester who were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843. Abell James, Gloucester, money scrivener, May 29, 1828. Allsop Thomas, Gloucester, linen draper, March 27, 1821. Atkins Alfred, Gloucester, merchant, Jan. 28, 1831. Aust John, Gloucester, …

Corn Exchange Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Last Updated on October 10, 2018The Corn Exchange is a handsome building in Southgate Street, and was erected in 1856-7; it is entered through a corridor 13 feet 6 inches in width. The room is 52 feet long by 52 feet wide, and to the top of the lantern 45 feet high; it is adapted …

County Lunatic Asylum Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Last Updated on October 10, 2018The County Lunatic Asylum, which was opened 21 July, 1823, is about half a mile from the city, on an elevated site, commanding some extensive views of the surrounding country. It has from time to time received many and considerable additions, and will now accommodate nearly 700 patients. Morris & …

County Prison Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Last Updated on October 10, 2018The County Prison, on the banks of the Severn, was built from a design of the great philanthropist Howard, on the site originally occupied by Gloucester Castle, the ancient donjon or keep of which had been used as a prison previously. It was erected in 1791, and considerably enlarged and …

Infirmary Eye Institution and Dispensary Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Last Updated on October 10, 2018The Infirmary, in Southgate Street, is a plain brick edifice, which was opened in 1755; it is a commodious and well managed establishment, and every attention is paid to the sufferers who seek assistance within its walls. The Eye Institution, in Market Parade, is supported by voluntary contributions, and was …