Birtley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1764 from Chollerton Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Broomhope with Buteland.
Alternative names: Birkley
Parish church: St John The Evangelist
Parish registers begin: 1728
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
BIRTLEY, or Birkley, a parochial chapelry in Bellingham district, Northumberland; on the North Tyne river and on the Border Counties railway, near Wark station, 5 miles SE of Bellingham. It was disjoined in 1765 from the parish of Chollerton; it includes the township of Broomhope and Buteland; and its Post Town is Wark, under Hexham. Acres, 6,720. Rated property, £3,428. Pop., 404. Houses, 80. The property is divided among six. Coal and other useful minerals occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £122. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is not good. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
BIRTLEY, a parochial chapelry in the north eastern division of TINDALE ward, county of Northumberland, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Bellingham, containing, with a small portion of the township of Broomhope with Buteland, 393 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Northamberland, and diocese of Durham, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty. The Duke of Northumberland was patron in 1805. Birtley was formed into a parochial chapelry in 1765, in which year it was separated from the parish of Chollerton. Coal and lime exist in the neighbourhood: there is a day and Sunday school in the village. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831