Stoke Bliss is a parish formerly in Herefordshire, but transferred to Worcestershire for civil purposes, under the provisions of Section 54 of the Local Government (England and Wales) Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict. C. 41), by Order of the Local Government Board, May 8, 1897, confirmed by Provisional Orders Confirmation (No. 10) Act, 18971
Stoke Bliss parish includes: Little Kyre or Kyre Minor or Kyre Parva.
Parish registers begin:
Stoke-Bliss, 5 miles N. Bromyard. P. 351.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Stoke-Bliss, a parish, partly in the hund. of Broxash, and partly in the Upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Tenbury, counties of Hereford and Worcester; 5½ miles north-north by west of Bromyard. The parish includes the hamlet of Little Kyre. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 16s. 8d.; gross income £383. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £357 14s. 8d. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here is a day and Sunday school. In 1835 hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 110 acres. Acres 2,410. Houses 70. A.P. £704. Pop., in 1801, 187; in 1831, 175. Poor rates, in 1838, £38 8s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Kyre (Little), a chapelry in the parish of Stoke-Bliss, county of Worcester; 4 miles south-east of Tenbury. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Stoke-Bliss. Acres 1,130. Houses 34. A. P. £765. Pop., in 1801, 126; in 183S, 169. Poor rates, in 1838, £58 17s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Kyre-Minor – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Stoke Bliss, half a mile from the above Kyre-Wyard; containing 25 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 126 – 1811, 120 – 1821, 121.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Kyre Parva, or Little Kyre, situate in the county of Worcestershire, and distant about 5 miles S. from Tenbury, is a small hamlet of the parish of Stoke Bliss, in the county of Hereford, consisting principally of farm houses. The parish church is at Stoke Bliss. It contained in 1851 a population of 151 inhabitants.
Benbow William, wheelwright and carpenter
Bolton Martin, farmer, Little Bannalls
Bruton William, mason
Dorrell Thomas, farmer, The Hall
Hall Joseph, farmer, The Collins
Hyde Mary, farmer, The Grove
Hyde William, farmer, The Grove
Lynas Lawrence, victualler, Cross Keys
Pound Edwin, farmer, The Bannalls
Swann Ephraim, farmer, Hursley
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855