Madley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. Tyberton is a chapelry of Madley.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Baptist.
Madley, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands 1½ mile S of the river Wye, 4¼ NW of Tram-Inn r. station, and 5¾ W by S of Hereford; dates from ancient times; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Hereford.—The parish comprises 5,360 acres. Real property, £8,108. Pop. in 1851, 927; in 1861, 970. Houses, 198. A castle formerly stood at the village. A ferry for horses and carriages is on the Wye to Bridge-Sollers and Byford. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Tiberton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £608. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is partly Norman, but chiefly decorated English; has a polygonal apse, over a fine octagonal crypt, with central shaft and good groining; has, in the E end of a small chapel, a large five light window; has elsewhere windows mostly of two lights, in mixtures of early English and decorated English; has, at the W end, a beautiful embattled tower, surmounted by a high turret, locally called “Jacob’s Chair; “and contains decorated sedilla, remains of stalls with desks and miserere seats, a remarkable ancient font, and several handsome monuments. A broken cross is near the church, and another is near the village. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £27. -The sub-district contains also seven other parishes. Acres, 19,790. Pop., 3,088. Houses, 657
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Madley, 6m. S.W. Hereford. P. 923.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.