Lingen

Photo of St Michael & All Angels Church. View north from the churchyard to the porch. The stone parts of the tower and the benches date from the 16th century, but today's building is mainly as a result of the major renovation in 1891. by Trevor Rickard, some rights reserved.

Lingen Herefordshire Family History

Lingen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1751

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Lingen

  • Wigmore
  • Leintwardine
  • Kinsham
  • Presteigne
  • Brampton Bryan

Historical Descriptions

Village street at Lingen Lingen is largely a single street village. Here looking northwards from the bridge over the Lime Brook. The copyright on this image is owned by Trevor Rickard and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

Lingen, a parish in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. N.E.) from Presteigne, containing 284 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Wynn. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Presteigne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Kington
  • Hundred: Wigmore
  • Province: Canterbury