Eye

Eye, Herefordshire Family History

Eye is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Moreton and Ashton and Eye, Luston.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1573

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Eye

  • Brimfield
  • Kimbolton
  • Middleton on the Hill
  • Leominster
  • Eyton
  • Orleton
  • Yarpole

Historical Descriptions

Eye

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eye, a township and a parish in Leominster district, Hereford. The township is cojoined with Moreton and Ashton; lies adjacent to the Leominster canal and the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 3 ½ miles N of Leominster; and has a station, jointly with Berrington, on the railway. Real property, £4,357. Pop., 302. Houses, 61. The parish contains also the township of Luston; and its post-town is Yarpole, under Leominster. Acres, 4,307. Real property, £9,257. Pop., 733. Houses, 166. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £317. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and was recently in a dilapidated state. Charities, £19.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Eye The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Eye, a parish in the hund. of Wolphy, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 3 miles north-north-east of Leominster; comprising the townships of Ashton-Eye-Moreton, Berrington, and Luston, and close on the Leominster canal. Livintr, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £7 19s. 2d.; gross income £319. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here are 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1836, £17 16s. per annum: besides a close at Moreton, part of which was taken for the purpose of cutting the Leominster canal through it. the canal company had not paid any thing for the part they took, their affairs not allowing them to do so. Poor rates, in 1838, £275 10s. Acres 4,530. Houses 150. A. P. £5,339. Pop., in 1801, 509; in 1831, 720.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Eye, 4 miles N. Leominster. P. 739

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Ashton

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ashton, included in Eye parish.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Luston

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Luston, in Eye parish. P. 445.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Moreton

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Moreton, co. Hereford.

P. T. Leominster (137) 4 m. N b E. Pop. with Ashton Township, 278.

A township in the parish of Eye and hundred of Wolphy.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Leominster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Leominster
  • Hundred: Wolphy
  • Province: Canterbury