Dewsall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. Callow is a chapelry of Dewsall.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1582
Dewsall, a parish in Wormelow hund., union and county of Hereford; 4½ miles south-west by south of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage annexed to the perpetual curacy of Acconbury. There were 14 acres of hops grown here in 1835. Acres 500. Houses 5. A. P. £657. Pop., in 1801, 47; in 1831, 44. Poor rates, in 1837, £16.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Dewsall, 6 miles S. Hereford. P. 40.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Dewsall (St. Michael), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 40 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 667 acres of fertile land; the surface is pleasingly varied, and from the higher grounds are some fine views of the surrounding country, embracing the Welsh mountains. The living, which was formerly united with those of Callow and Acornbury, is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the patronage of Guy’s Hospital, London: the tithes have been commuted for £114. 4. 6., and the glebe contains 2 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Edwards John, farmer, The Court.
Edwards R., frmr., The Court.
Evans Rev. Chas. A. Mark ham, The Rectory.
Preece Lewis, parish clerk (resides at Little Birch).
(Assistant overseer: W. J. Verry, King’s. Thorne.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Dewsall, an exceedingly small parish, distant 2 miles east from Tram Inn station, on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line of railway, 4 south from Hereford, and 11 north-west from Ross; is situate on the Hereford and Ross road, in the Webtree Hundred, and Hereford Union, archdeaconry, deanery and bishopric. The church of St. Michael is a very old building, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch, and low tower having two bells; in the interior are three monuments to the Pearl family, whose sole heiress intermarried with the family of Buckingham and Chandos. The living is a vicarage, worth £120 yearly with residence and two acres of glebe land, in the gift of – Mynors, Esq., of Treago. The population, in 1851, was 30, the acreage being 676. the soil is red clay, the subsoil is gravel. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and chief landowners. There are no charities connected with this parish. The Duke of Buckingham formerly resided in this parish, the estate of whom was sold to the Governors of Guy’s Hospital. The principal inhabitants are the Rev. T. Phillips, and Peregrine Prince, Esq.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.