Brampton-Abbots, 3 m. N. Ross. P. 197
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Brampton Abbotts is a parish, and small scattered village, one mile north from Ross railway station, 16 from Hereford, 20 from Gloucester, and 134 from London; it is in Greytree Hundred, and Ross Union, petty sessional division, county court district, and deanery, and Hereford bishopric; it is situate about 1 mile east of the river Wye. The church of St. Michael is an old plain stone building, with small belfry of old style; was repaired about 1854, it has nave, chancel, organ, font, porch, and three bells. The Rev. W. Hulme is the rector. The living is a rectory, worth £300 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Bishop of Hereford. The population, in 1851, was 220, and the acreage is 1,452 acres. The soil is sandy loam; the subsoil is clay and rock. The Right Hon. Lord Ashburton, P.C., is lord of the manor; and Mr. John Dew, and Mr. Daniel Dew are landowners.
Overtown and Gatsford were occupied by the Romans.
Letters through Ross, which is also the nearest money order office.
Barrett James, farmer, Overtown
Dew Daniel, Esq.
Dew John, Esq., Netherton
Dew John, farmer
Howell Stephen, farmer, Townsend farm
Garrold Richard, Esq., the Lodge
Marfell George, farmer, Gatsford
Richards Henry, carpenter
Phillips Samuel, wheelwright & parish clerk
Simkins Jacob, blacksmith
Suttle Wm. Leonard, farmer, Park farm
Turner John, blacksmith
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.