Bosbury

Bosbury, Herefordshire History

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bosbury with Upleader [sic], a parish in the hund. of Radlow, union of Ledbury, county of Hereford; 4 miles north by west of Ledbury, Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford, valued at £10 3s. 8d.; gross income £379; in the patronage of the bishop of Hereford. This parish possesses a daily school, and two Sunday schools. In addition to these there is a school here, endowed by Sir Rowland Morton with lands and houses; but having been thrown into the chancery, the revenues are swallowed up by law expenses, the houses dilapidated, the school-room shut up, and the tenants now refuse to pay the rents. Pop., in 1801, 776; in 1831, 1061. Houses 224. Acres 5,200; upwards of 200 acres of hops are grown. A. P. £5,760. Poor rates, in 1837, £718.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bosbury with Upleadon, 4 miles N. Ledbury. P. 1137

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

Bosbury Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858